Old 24-05-2004, 10:15 AM
Glen Able

Default Mahonia

Hello folks.

I've been looking for a largish shrub for a shady spot. The RHS website
and encyclopedia have Mahonia media 'Charity' listed as getting to 4m, so I
went for that.

Now, after planting it I've noticed that the label on the pot reckons it
only gets to 120cm, so who am I supposed to believe?

Thanks,
Confused of Oxon.

Old 24-05-2004, 01:05 PM
shazzbat

"Glen Able" wrote in message
Hello folks.

I've been looking for a largish shrub for a shady spot. The RHS website
and encyclopedia have Mahonia media 'Charity' listed as getting to 4m, so

went for that.

Now, after planting it I've noticed that the label on the pot reckons it
only gets to 120cm, so who am I supposed to believe?

Are you sure that was 4m and not 4 feet? that would be very close to 120 cm

Steve

Old 24-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Emrys Davies

'Glen',

This site will soothe your anxieties.

http://tinyurl.com/2dqk6

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 24-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Glen Able

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
'Glen',

This site will soothe your anxieties.

http://tinyurl.com/2dqk6

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Hmm, thanks. So the label was lying.

Interestingly, there's also what seems to be a "Don't prune" symbol on the
label (a secateurs icon with a cross through it), whereas the site you
posted mentions what a mess it turns into if it's not pruned!

Old 24-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Emrys Davies

'Glen',

The label is probably indicating that 'No regular pruning is required'
as is the case with mahonias, but obviously you will prune if you think
that that is necessary to keep it within bounds or to shape it to your
satisfaction.

Similarly, it is often recommended that a particular named clematis does
not need pruning, but light pruning is often necessary and desirable to
tidy it up.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 24-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Glen Able" wrote in message
Hello folks.

I've been looking for a largish shrub for a shady spot. The RHS

website
and encyclopedia have Mahonia media 'Charity' listed as getting to

4m, so
went for that.

Now, after planting it I've noticed that the label on the pot

reckons it
only gets to 120cm, so who am I supposed to believe?

Are you sure that was 4m and not 4 feet? that would be very close to

120 cm

The RHS Encyclopedia definitely says 4 m. My guess is that you will
have to wait a fair number of years befor it reaches that height.
My memory might be at fault, but it tells me that there used to be a
group of them at Wisley which were in the region of at least 3 m high.

Franz

Old 25-05-2004, 03:07 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Glen Able" wrote in message
Hello folks.

I've been looking for a largish shrub for a shady spot. The RHS website
and encyclopedia have Mahonia media 'Charity' listed as getting to 4m, so

went for that.

Now, after planting it I've noticed that the label on the pot reckons it
only gets to 120cm, so who am I supposed to believe?

The label is wrong, my Mahonia 'Charity' got to over 2 mtrs. but was getting
leggy at the base.

I cut a third of it back by a meter, after flowering, over a three year
period. It's now bushier and carries a lot more flowers.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.