Old 25-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Graham Broadbridge

Default Phosphate

" wrote in message
om...

The folks getting BBA, it has virtually nothing to do with PO4 or NO3.
BBA will still grow without detectable levels using a Lamott test kit,
so you are NOT going to control or limit it's growth in that manner.

Agree. With 0 measurable phosphate and around 5ppm NO3 I find that BBA will
grow in my tank. The NO3 is added (in the form of KNO3) to keep the level
at 5ppm as without that addition it will drop to zero and other algae seem
to blossom at the expense of the desired plants.

If you raise the CO2 to 20-30ppm for the entire photoperoid and keep
it at that level consistently, BBA will stop growing. Try it. Then you
can see for yourself and stop going on a wild goose chase.

Interesting hypothesis. I've been running my tank at 20ppm CO2 which must
not be enough. I've just added enough Baking soda to increase the level to
30ppm CO2 - the pH controller is (at the moment) sending out millions of
bubbles of CO2 to lower the pH :-)

I'll let you know if the hypothesis is proven here at 30 ppm.

Details:

55 gal tank
pH 7
kH 7
gH 5
NO3: 5ppm
Fe: 0.15

Adjusted PMDD formula fed daily to balance nutrients
Heavily planted at the moment with elodea (throw away weed - pruning around
6 inches from each stem twice a week) plus other more important plants.

Regards
Graham.