Old 25-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Douglas

Default Soft Soap

"Mike" wrote in message

"Rupert" wrote in message
Where to buy and what exactly is it

Used in the shipyards to launch ships with :-))

The timbers of the slipways were covered in tallow, then soft soap. The
cradle for the ship was built on this and when the securing chock was
released, the tallow and soft soap enabled the ship, in her cradle, to

slide
down the timber slipway. If you observe large ships being launched, there

is
a crackling sound and smoke pours from the moving parts, this is the

tallow
and soft soap burning under friction.

And the huge bundles of 'drag' chains on the shore? To slow the ship down
once launched.

Today's bit of useless information on the Gardening Newsgroup

I have just been informed by 'her outdoors' that when she was a child and
before all these fancy shampoos, she had her hair washed in soft soap,

'she'
also believes that when mixed with water, it is useful for spraying in
aphids.

:-)) THERE, that brought it back into topic for the net nannies :-))

Mike

***************************
Off-topic, - apologies, but,
Sounds like thou's an Old Barrow Island lad, Mike .
Tha's reet though. I've seen every launch there since the submarine support
ship Medway
went down the slipways, - and that's way back!.
I was brought up at the Belfast Berth near the Pier Head, Barrow docks. Dad
had a big allotment on Ramsey Island t'other side of Ramsden Dock.
P.S. If my memory serves me right I think that using soap as a pest control
is banned.
Doug.