Old 19-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Rupert

Default Soft Soap

Where to buy and what exactly is it

Old 19-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 19 May 2004 14:48:15 +0100, "Rupert"
wrote:

Where to buy and what exactly is it

Boots used to sell it - ask for it at the pharmacy dept.
It's simply a tub of gelatinous soap, typically made from a vegetable
oil base.

It's commonly used by people with certain skin conditions.

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 19-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Mike

"Rupert" wrote in message
Where to buy and what exactly is it

Used in the shipyards to launch ships with :-))

The timbers of the slipways were covered in tallow, then soft soap. The
cradle for the ship was built on this and when the securing chock was
released, the tallow and soft soap enabled the ship, in her cradle, to slide
down the timber slipway. If you observe large ships being launched, there is
a crackling sound and smoke pours from the moving parts, this is the tallow
and soft soap burning under friction.

And the huge bundles of 'drag' chains on the shore? To slow the ship down
once launched.

Today's bit of useless information on the Gardening Newsgroup

I have just been informed by 'her outdoors' that when she was a child and
before all these fancy shampoos, she had her hair washed in soft soap, 'she'
also believes that when mixed with water, it is useful for spraying in
aphids.

:-)) THERE, that brought it back into topic for the net nannies :-))

Mike

Old 19-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Brian

"Rupert" wrote in message
Where to buy and what exactly is it

Most readily bought from any outlet that caters for leather/ riding goods.
Mainly used to keep leather and harness soft and flexible.
Best Wishes Brian

Old 20-05-2004, 08:10 AM
Franz Heymann

"Brian" wrote in message

"Rupert" wrote in message
Where to buy and what exactly is it

Most readily bought from any outlet that caters for leather/ riding

goods.
Mainly used to keep leather and harness soft and flexible.

What is "Swarfega"?

FRanz

Old 20-05-2004, 09:03 AM
JennyC

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Brian" wrote in message

"Rupert" wrote in message
Where to buy and what exactly is it

Most readily bought from any outlet that caters for leather/ riding

goods.
Mainly used to keep leather and harness soft and flexible.

What is "Swarfega"?
FRanz

Gunky gloop to clean hands with. used a lot in garages - it works REALLY well
:~)
Jenny

Old 20-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Mike

What is "Swarfega"?
FRanz

Gunky gloop to clean hands with. used a lot in garages - it works REALLY

well
:~)
Jenny

No doubt this will be termed ridiculous as well, but if you are going to do
a dirty job, squirt some Fairy Liquid onto your hands and rub well in. When
you come to wash your hands, no soap is required and your hands come clean
very well. Seems to form a barrier.

Don't do this if your hands are allergic to Fairy Liquid.

Mike

Old 21-05-2004, 02:12 AM
Franz Heymann

"Brian" wrote in message

"Rupert" wrote in message
Where to buy and what exactly is it

Most readily bought from any outlet that caters for leather/

riding
goods.
Mainly used to keep leather and harness soft and flexible.

What is "Swarfega"?
FRanz

Gunky gloop to clean hands with. used a lot in garages - it works

REALLY well
:~)

I know. But what is it made of? Does it count as soft soap for
horticultural purposes?

Franz

Old 21-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Brian

"Brian" wrote in message

"Rupert" wrote in message
Where to buy and what exactly is it

Most readily bought from any outlet that caters for leather/

riding
goods.
Mainly used to keep leather and harness soft and flexible.

What is "Swarfega"?
FRanz

Gunky gloop to clean hands with. used a lot in garages - it works

REALLY well
:~)

I know. But what is it made of? Does it count as soft soap for
horticultural purposes?

Franz
No~~ Swarfega is a powerful detergent. Excellent for removing really black

grease from hands. Garages and engines etc.
Soft soap is simply a soap with oils to keep it semi liquid.
Brian.

Old 21-05-2004, 09:09 PM
JennyC

"Brian" wrote
"Franz Heymann" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
"Franz Heymann" wrote
"Brian" wrote
"Rupert" wrote
Where to buy and what exactly is it

Most readily bought from any outlet that caters for leather/

riding goods.
Mainly used to keep leather and harness soft and flexible.

What is "Swarfega"?
FRanz

Gunky gloop to clean hands with. used a lot in garages - it works

REALLY well :~)

I know. But what is it made of? Does it count as soft soap for
horticultural purposes?
Franz

No~~ Swarfega is a powerful detergent. Excellent for removing really black

grease from hands. Garages and engines etc.
Soft soap is simply a soap with oils to keep it semi liquid.
Brian.

Full technical analyse at : http://www.deb.com.au/pages/pdfs/swarfega.pdf
Jenny :~)

Old 25-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Douglas

wrote:

Where to buy and what exactly is it

Boots used to sell it - ask for it at the pharmacy dept.
It's simply a tub of gelatinous soap, typically made from a vegetable
oil base.

It's commonly used by people with certain skin conditions.

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

*****************************
Hello! Stephen!.- well-well!
What's a respected musical instrument expert like you doing getting those
skilled hands dirty a-muck-spreading in a garden, or allotment or
whateffer!?
And all that digging! - think what callouses it can cause on them there
lilywhites!
If you really must, I suppose I'll have to cede and give you a warm welcome
into the fold.
Just had a thought!. - perhaps I am the new boy on the allotment!.
You look after thesen, - ya hear?.
Doug.

*****************************

Old 25-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Douglas

"Mike" wrote in message

"Rupert" wrote in message
[...]

***************************
Off-topic, - apologies, but,
Sounds like thou's an Old Barrow Island lad, Mike .
Tha's reet though. I've seen every launch there since the submarine support
ship Medway
went down the slipways, - and that's way back!.
I was brought up at the Belfast Berth near the Pier Head, Barrow docks. Dad
had a big allotment on Ramsey Island t'other side of Ramsden Dock.
P.S. If my memory serves me right I think that using soap as a pest control
is banned.
Doug.

*************************

Old 25-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Stephen Howard

On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:10:02 +0100, "Douglas"
wrote:

Hello! Stephen!.- well-well!
What's a respected musical instrument expert like you doing getting those
skilled hands dirty a-muck-spreading in a garden, or allotment or
whateffer!?
And all that digging! - think what callouses it can cause on them there
lilywhites!
If you really must, I suppose I'll have to cede and give you a warm welcome
into the fold.
Just had a thought!. - perhaps I am the new boy on the allotment!.
You look after thesen, - ya hear?.
Doug.

Hi Doug!

Ah, there's nothing I like better after a hard day wrestling with
cheap Taiwanese flutes, appalling Chinese clarinets and decidedly
dodgy Philippino saxes than to stand knee deep in a pile of.....horse
manure.

Don't worry about my dexterous digits...I always wear gloves ( though
I take them off for gardening ).

Cheers,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Nothing to do with - Soft soap Alan Holmes United Kingdom 0 11-07-2003 06:46 PM
Soft soap Chris Hogg United Kingdom 8 15-06-2003 01:20 PM
how good are neem oil and copper soap? Dora Smith Texas 4 09-04-2003 09:56 PM
Gardeners Soap ! elizabeth bridge United Kingdom 0 10-01-2003 01:35 AM