Old 25-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Neil Jones

Default Price of trees

I was in one of my nearby garden centres at the weekend having a general
browse when I noticed a beautiful specimen labelled as Acer palmatum
var. dissectum 'Ornatum'. At a guess I'd say it was about 2m tall with a
spread of about 4-5m. It was in a *huge* pot.

I had to look at the price out of curiosity - £2500 (!)

This didn't exactly strike me as good value for money. Do people ever
buy plants for this sort of price?

Alternatively, would they have simply put a price on, knowing they'll
never sell it, but "nothing ventured nothing gained"?

Neil