Old 25-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Neil Jones

Default Price of trees

I was in one of my nearby garden centres at the weekend having a general
browse when I noticed a beautiful specimen labelled as Acer palmatum
var. dissectum 'Ornatum'. At a guess I'd say it was about 2m tall with a
spread of about 4-5m. It was in a *huge* pot.

I had to look at the price out of curiosity - £2500 (!)

This didn't exactly strike me as good value for money. Do people ever
buy plants for this sort of price?

Alternatively, would they have simply put a price on, knowing they'll
never sell it, but "nothing ventured nothing gained"?

Neil

Old 25-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Brian

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
I was in one of my nearby garden centres at the weekend having a general
browse when I noticed a beautiful specimen labelled as Acer palmatum
var. dissectum 'Ornatum'. At a guess I'd say it was about 2m tall with a
spread of about 4-5m. It was in a *huge* pot.

I had to look at the price out of curiosity - £2500 (!)

This didn't exactly strike me as good value for money. Do people ever
buy plants for this sort of price?

Alternatively, would they have simply put a price on, knowing they'll
never sell it, but "nothing ventured nothing gained"?

Neil

That tree would be very many years old and have demanded very much care

and skill.
It would transplant into a new garden and give instant effect that would
last a lifetime.
That same money would only buy an old 'banger' that would soon become
redundant.
Fortunately, at long last, plantsmen are able to achieve an income that
reflects all their training, work and expertise.
It will sell~ and was probably bought by the centre knowing that it will
sell.
Best Wishes Brian

Old 26-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Nick Wagg

"Brian" wrote in message

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
[...]

I blame the instant garden TV programmes.
--
Nick Wagg

Old 26-05-2004, 06:23 PM
tuin man

"Nick Wagg" wrote in message
"Brian" wrote in message

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
[...]

Alternatively (from my experience of buying such things) blame it on people
of relatively senior age who say to me they want a plant and they haven't
got the time to wait for it to grow... but do have the money to pay for the
right one.

Patrick

Old 27-05-2004, 03:17 AM
Stan The Man

In article , tuin man
wrote:

"Nick Wagg" wrote in message
"Brian" wrote in message

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
[...]

Hear, hear. I'm not going to be around for 20 years to see a tree
mature so I'll willingly spend to enjoy it while I'm still breathing!
In fact, I'm about to shell out thousands on 50 mature Photinia to make
an instant boundary screen.

Simon

Old 27-05-2004, 09:29 PM
tuin man

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
In article , tuin man
wrote:

"Nick Wagg" wrote in message
"Brian" wrote in message

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
[...]

Do make sure you have a good irrigation system set up.
Plants of this size DO NOT ordinarily just die after transplanting into open
ground as is so commonly supposed. But they sure as hell will if they're not
watered adequately within at least the first 2 years.
Furthermore, nurseries know they are selling a sound product and so there is
no need for providing a guarantee. Which means there's no point in going
back to them if any do die. Garden centres on the other hand are more ...
hmm... accommodating sometimes. Though can have quite a mark up (Min..£500
plus each at a nursery)
If you are having this job done by say a landscaper and s/he is suggesting
some form of guarantee, but there's no irrigation clause... then watch out.
No one can really afford to absorb such a heavy loss!

Patrick

Old 30-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Douglas

"Nick Wagg" wrote in message
"Brian" wrote in message

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
[...]

****************************
It's a mistake. For a slightly developed simple acer palmatum variegated
dissectum of that size I would say about 60 to75 quid.
During developement from small they require very little attention, though it
has to be said that the grower has got the plant on his hands for a long
time and it has taken up space. Why hasn't it been sold long before now?.
They are very slow growing in the early stages. Don't forget that they are
trees, - eventually.
I have three or four Acers, all quite small. A fiver each at B&Q's. When
they reach medium large size they'll be chucked. I haven't the room. Not to
worry I have a few cuttings developing slowly to take their places, - if I
survive long enough.
Doug.
****************************

Old 30-05-2004, 08:04 AM
Douglas

wrote:

"Nick Wagg" wrote in message
"Brian" wrote in message

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
[...]

***********************

Skinflint! (:^)
Just when your offspring were looking forward to dashing out and buying a
new Porsche.
Photinia, (beauverdinia ,late spring,/serrulata, spring. Deciduous large
shrub or small rather slender tree up to 30 feet.
Tut-tut!
Cupped-hand Voice from outside, - "Is there anybody there?!!.
Doug.
***********************

Old 30-05-2004, 08:04 AM
Douglas

wrote:

"Nick Wagg" wrote in message
"Brian" wrote in message

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
[...]

*********************
Very good and wise information in my opinion.
Doug.
*********************

Old 31-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Douglas" contains these words:

Very good and wise information in my opinion.

Here's some even better. That post had four screens of unedited,
irrelevent material for readers to scroll through before your one-liner
contribution. If you make a habit of that, very few people will bother
to open posts from you, and you will effectively be talking only to
yourself.

Janet

Old 31-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:
The message
from "Douglas" contains these words:

Very good and wise information in my opinion.

Here's some even better. That post had four screens of unedited,
irrelevent material for readers to scroll through before your one-liner
contribution. If you make a habit of that, very few people will bother
to open posts from you, and you will effectively be talking only to
yourself.

I've stopped bothering already.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 31-05-2004, 11:29 AM
martin

On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:48:13 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

The message
from "Douglas" contains these words:

Very good and wise information in my opinion.

Here's some even better. That post had four screens of unedited,
irrelevent material for readers to scroll through before your one-liner
contribution. If you make a habit of that, very few people will bother
to open posts from you, and you will effectively be talking only to
yourself.

sigh use the page down key.
Old 31-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Brian

I have three or four Acers, all quite small. A fiver each at B&Q's. When
they reach medium large size they'll be chucked. I haven't the room. Not

worry I have a few cuttings developing slowly to take their places, - if I
survive long enough.
Doug.
****************************
Douglas, Did you note the size of the tree? Must have been more than

twenty years old. Of that size and age it has probably been a feature in a
number of shows but has now outgrown its use. But more seriously~ have you
really managed to strike cuttings? I had access to every possible means of
propagation, but never attempted, as grafting was stated to be the only
method possible.
Even species were understood to be only possible from seeds.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 31-05-2004, 07:19 PM
tuin man

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Douglas" contains these words:

Very good and wise information in my opinion.

Here's some even better. That post had four screens of unedited,
irrelevent material for readers to scroll through before your one-liner
contribution. If you make a habit of that, very few people will bother
to open posts from you, and you will effectively be talking only to
yourself.

Janet

Erm.. since when does general information on after care of expensive trees
become irrelevant?

Patrick

Old 31-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , tuin man aquachimp@aquac
himp.freeserve.co.uk writes

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
.. .
The message
from "Douglas" contains these words:

Very good and wise information in my opinion.

Here's some even better. That post had four screens of unedited,
irrelevent material for readers to scroll through before your one-liner
contribution. If you make a habit of that, very few people will bother
to open posts from you, and you will effectively be talking only to
yourself.

Janet

Erm.. since when does general information on after care of expensive trees
become irrelevant?

When it's been posted once and the respondent wants to add one line of
comment.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: