Old 26-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Zack Lau

Default planting time for bareroots

(Reva Narasimhan) wrote in message . com...
Wayside gardens is having a big sale on roses. Is it too late to plant
bareroot roses? I live in Northern New Jersey, Zone 6a. It's already

We got some bareroots this spring from Wayside--they have all leafed
out, though the ones that had already sprouted before planting took
longer to get going.

The late start means that insects will love the fresh new leaves.
Nor can I suggest spraying the leaves with insecticide--fresh leaves
are likely to burn and wither away, killing the plant.

We have lost new plants by going on vacation for a week, so they
weren't adequately watered.

If you can keep the bugs away and keep them watered, I don't see why
not.
The Tropicana we got at the Lowes' end of season sale last year for $5
is doing wonderfully in Connecticut this year.

Many of our friends lost half their roses in each of the last two
winters. Last winter we protected everything except the multiflora,
Dr. Huey, and Carefree Delight. The Forth of July is doing great,
because the cloth over
the fence let a big cane survive the winter.

Zack Lau W1VT Zone 6