Old 23-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Reva Narasimhan

Default planting time for bareroots

Hi Everyone,
Wayside gardens is having a big sale on roses. Is it too late to plant
bareroot roses? I live in Northern New Jersey, Zone 6a. It's already
getting hot here. However, I am tempted by the beautiful pictures and
the *low* prices in the promo email they sent. Should I just hit the
delete button and pass this up? Or have people had success planting
bareroot roses at this point in the season in a similar zone?
Thanks for your advice.

Reva Narasimhan
Old 24-05-2004, 02:05 AM
Gail Futoran

"Reva Narasimhan" wrote in
message
om...
Hi Everyone,
Wayside gardens is having a big sale on roses. Is it too

late to plant
bareroot roses? I live in Northern New Jersey, Zone 6a.

It's already
getting hot here. However, I am tempted by the beautiful

pictures and
the *low* prices in the promo email they sent. Should I

just hit the
delete button and pass this up? Or have people had success

planting
bareroot roses at this point in the season in a similar

zone?
Thanks for your advice.

Reva Narasimhan

Sorry, I'm not in your zone, but I have gotten
late orders and had to plant bareroots at a
warmer time of year than I preferred. Usually
I concentrate on keeping them watered, mulching
well, holding off on feeding until growth is
well established.

I have also shaded roses that I felt were weak
until they got roots established enough to handle
south Texas summers.

It might be worth trying, but it's your money, so
your decision.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 24-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Hamp

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message ...
[...]

I concur with Gail. I live in zone 8 and last year planted some David
Austins, bare roots from Wayside Gardens in June. They did great. I
have ordered some from them this year and should be here tomorrow.
Keep them well watered and mulched and you should be ok. I had one
rose to fail earlier this year, I think it was already dead when I
planted it, and Wayside promptly shipped me replacement with no
questions asked.
Hamp
Old 25-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Jane Lumley

You could always pot them for a while and water/liquid feed until they
have developed a few new shoots. That's what the nurseries do with
'container-grown' plants anyway.
--
Jane Lumley

I'm new here, I may be asking for help from time to time unicron85 United Kingdom 21 08-04-2014 11:15 PM
dianna condemns, then Jeff recently comes a resident pavement from time to time Kaye's matrix Ikram Jbilou Dawood Ponds 0 18-11-2007 03:12 PM
there Petra will follow the request, and if Madeleine not sails it too, the suffering will destroy from time to time the deaf cottage Josef P. Madren Ponds 0 14-11-2007 05:36 AM
Oak Leaves On Bareroots? Shiva Roses 2 24-03-2003 05:56 PM
Canna Planting time Starlord Gardening 0 21-03-2003 03:56 PM