Old 27-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Margaret Lillard

Default Hawks in my yard

Kathie wrote:

.I know...a lot of you think I'm blessed, but I really don't like
predators...but what to do? Is there any way to discourage hawks from
the neighborhood?? Or could any of you tell me why I should love them?
I fear for my squirrels, and other nesting birds...

I have big "hats" over my feeders -- those clear plastic rain/debris
covers -- and that makes it tough for the hawks to get an angle on any
birds feeding below. I did this after I saw a hawk snatch a poor little
lady goldfinch right off the tube feeder. No repeats so far.

There was an episode of "Emergency Vets" (on Animal Planet; I think it's
no longer shown) where a girl brought in a rabbit that her boyfriend had
bought to feed to his python. The vet remarked that the girl's
intentions were good, but in the meantime the python was starving.
"Somebody's got to love the snake," he said. And so it is with hawks.

MAL