Old 25-05-2004, 05:10 AM
Registered User

Location: Durham, NC
Unhappy Hawks in my yard

..I know...a lot of you think I'm blessed, but I really don't like predators...but what to do? Is there any way to discourage hawks from the neighborhood?? Or could any of you tell me why I should love them? I fear for my squirrels, and other nesting birds...
__________________
Kat ~=^..^=~
Old 25-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Johnny Kuo

Default Hawks in my yard

You fear "for" your squirrels??? Those rodents are the most efficient basil
killers in my neighborhood. Not only do they dig up all of my seedlings,
but they chewed up my birdfeeder, ate all the hyacinths in the water garden,
pilfered tomatos, and then proceeded to cackle with glee after their havoc
wreaking sessions on my garden. I wish that hawk would swing by this
direction!

--
Kathie

Kat ~=^..^=~

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old 25-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Anne Lurie

Kathie,

Are there bushes or trees close to your feeders or birdbath? That would
give the birds cover from hawks.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 25-05-2004, 11:15 PM
robin

"Johnny Kuo" wrote in message
You fear "for" your squirrels??? Those rodents are the most efficient

basil
killers in my neighborhood. Not only do they dig up all of my seedlings,
but they chewed up my birdfeeder, ate all the hyacinths in the water

garden,
pilfered tomatos, and then proceeded to cackle with glee after their havoc
wreaking sessions on my garden. I wish that hawk would swing by this
direction!

last week they chewed the top off of a sturdy plastic screw top container
full of bird seed on my deck. since it was full it was too heavy to knock
over so they eventually had to go inside the container to get down to the
bottom. they aren't fazed by crushed red pepper either. i just can't be
outsmarted by rodents!

robin in durham

Old 26-05-2004, 02:11 PM

Johnny Kuo wrote:
You fear "for" your squirrels??? Those rodents are the most efficient basil
killers in my neighborhood. Not only do they dig up all of my seedlings,
but they chewed up my birdfeeder, ate all the hyacinths in the water garden,
pilfered tomatos, and then proceeded to cackle with glee after their havoc
wreaking sessions on my garden. I wish that hawk would swing by this
direction!

May I share the hawk, Johnny? I had to replant my basil. Who
knows if it'll make it this time. Squirrels also destroyed my moon
vine, tipped over one of my favorite terra cotta pots and broke it,
and still feast on my "squirrel proof" bird feeder. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

cl

Old 27-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Margaret Lillard

Kathie wrote:

.I know...a lot of you think I'm blessed, but I really don't like
predators...but what to do? Is there any way to discourage hawks from
the neighborhood?? Or could any of you tell me why I should love them?
I fear for my squirrels, and other nesting birds...

I have big "hats" over my feeders -- those clear plastic rain/debris
covers -- and that makes it tough for the hawks to get an angle on any
birds feeding below. I did this after I saw a hawk snatch a poor little
lady goldfinch right off the tube feeder. No repeats so far.

There was an episode of "Emergency Vets" (on Animal Planet; I think it's
no longer shown) where a girl brought in a rabbit that her boyfriend had
bought to feed to his python. The vet remarked that the girl's
intentions were good, but in the meantime the python was starving.
"Somebody's got to love the snake," he said. And so it is with hawks.

MAL
Old 27-05-2004, 04:12 PM

Margaret Lillard wrote:

There was an episode of "Emergency Vets" (on Animal Planet; I think it's
no longer shown) where a girl brought in a rabbit that her boyfriend had
bought to feed to his python. The vet remarked that the girl's
intentions were good, but in the meantime the python was starving.
"Somebody's got to love the snake," he said. And so it is with hawks.

Heh. I have a friend who did that. When she was in college, she
rescued a rabbit that was about to be a boa's dinner. Oscar lived happily
with Heather for 10 years or so. No clue what happened to the boa, though
I suspect Oscar's rescue meant another rabbit's demise.

cl, who used to petsit Oscar for Heather

Old 27-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Jo

Hi Kathie,
I just saw your post. We have a similar situation here and I feel the same
way you do. I love my baby birds and squirrels.
I really dont have a problem in my garden because I fence around my raised
bed.
If you find a way to keep the Hawk away, please let me know and I will do
the same.
Have a wonderful rest of the afternoon.
Jo

Old 28-05-2004, 06:02 PM

In article , Kathie wrote:

.I know...a lot of you think I'm blessed, but I really don't like
predators...but what to do? Is there any way to discourage hawks from
the neighborhood?? Or could any of you tell me why I should love them?
I fear for my squirrels, and other nesting birds...

If there were no predators you would be up to your eyebrows in the bushy
tailed rats and birds. How many cats roam your neighborhood? They
catch far more than one hawk would. Plus the hawk is also catching
mice other such nuisances.

--
Kathie

Kat ~=^..^=~

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Durham, NC

the predator situation...yes, I understand that theory. But who are the predators of the hawks?? And how do we keep THEM in control? I thought man was the predator of most road-kill-sized animals like squirrels. Doubt if, as long as we have cars, there would be an overrun of squirrels even if we removed every hawk from the equation!
__________________
Kat ~=^..^=~

Old 01-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Durham, NC

Margaret,
Thank you for the suggestion about hats over feeders. I added several, and, in addition, moved all of my feeders under low tree cover. Now the birds and squirrels have ample SAFE space to feast and play.
Quote:
Originally posted by Margaret Lillard

Old 01-06-2004, 06:06 PM

In article , Kathie wrote:

the predator situation...yes, I understand that theory. But who are
the predators of the hawks?? And how do we keep THEM in control? I
thought man was the predator of most road-kill-sized animals like
squirrels. Doubt if, as long as we have cars, there would be an
overrun of squirrels even if we removed every hawk from the equation!

Man is the primary predator of birds of prey. If there were no furry
tailed rats then you might have reason to complain. If that happened
then the hawks would go where there are furrytailedrats and feast there.
We have several barred owls in the neighborhood and no shortage of
furrytailedrats. My daughter disected some owl pellets and found mouse
fir, crayfish, bird beaks so they eat a variety and can't catch it all.
Quit fretting over one hawk.

wrote:
*In article , Kathie wrote:

.I know...a lot of you think I'm blessed, but I really don't like
predators...but what to do? Is there any way to discourage hawks

from
the neighborhood?? Or could any of you tell me why I should love

them?
I fear for my squirrels, and other nesting birds...

If there were no predators you would be up to your eyebrows in the
bushy
tailed rats and birds. How many cats roam your neighborhood? They
catch far more than one hawk would. Plus the hawk is also catching
mice other such nuisances.

--
Kathie

Kat ~=^..^=~

News==----
100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption =---

--
Wes Dukes (wdukes.pobox@com) Swap the . and the @ to email me
please.

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address. *

--
Kathie

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.

Hawks above the pond Galen Hekhuis Ponds (moderated) 4 29-01-2010 01:22 PM
Hawks on TV Srgnt Billko Lawns 5 14-02-2007 02:11 PM
Do small hawks or kestrels ever hunt goldfish??? steve Ponds 6 27-04-2004 02:07 PM
Hawks in Wellington Ridge Dennis Brown North Carolina 0 16-06-2003 07:20 PM
How about hawks? Weldon Wallick Ponds 6 13-06-2003 06:56 PM