Old 27-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Runner Beans

In article v6atc.141$NF6.34@newsfe2-win,
"Joanne" writes:
| I recently sowed runner beans, some indoors in warmth, and some outdoors in
| pots. However, none of them have germinated -- some have rotted and turned
| mouldy, and some are still sitting there doing nothing at all. My mangetout
| sowed at the same time are doing really well. I thought runner beans were
| easy to grow, so what might I have done wrong?

As other people say, too cold or duff seed. I would try again (you
have plenty of time). I soak them for 24 hours, put them on damp
kitchen roll in a container covered with cling film, keep indoors,
and pot up the ones that germinate (ordinary soil will do, but I use
my own potting mixture in 4" pots). This protects them from rotting
due to a cold, wet spell just after they have germinated, which can
cause havoc with them (as well as with dwarf and French beans and,
in extreme cases, broad beans and peas).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.