Old 27-05-2004, 12:21 AM
Joanne

Default Runner Beans

I recently sowed runner beans, some indoors in warmth, and some outdoors in
pots. However, none of them have germinated -- some have rotted and turned
mouldy, and some are still sitting there doing nothing at all. My mangetout
sowed at the same time are doing really well. I thought runner beans were
easy to grow, so what might I have done wrong?

Thanks,

Old 27-05-2004, 01:11 AM
Emrys Davies

'Joanne',

It was probably too cold for them to germinate in the conditions which
you chose for them.

You should find this site helpful:

http://www.johnsons-seeds.com/growin...r_beans_3.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies

Old 27-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Robert

"Joanne" wrote in message
: I recently sowed runner beans, some indoors in warmth, and some outdoors
in
: pots. However, none of them have germinated -- some have rotted and
turned
: mouldy, and some are still sitting there doing nothing at all. My
mangetout
: sowed at the same time are doing really well. I thought runner beans were
: easy to grow, so what might I have done wrong?
:
: Thanks,
:
:I would say you had duff seed for none to germinate

Old 27-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article v6atc.141$NF6.34@newsfe2-win,
"Joanne" writes:
| I recently sowed runner beans, some indoors in warmth, and some outdoors in
| pots. However, none of them have germinated -- some have rotted and turned
| mouldy, and some are still sitting there doing nothing at all. My mangetout
| sowed at the same time are doing really well. I thought runner beans were
| easy to grow, so what might I have done wrong?

As other people say, too cold or duff seed. I would try again (you
have plenty of time). I soak them for 24 hours, put them on damp
kitchen roll in a container covered with cling film, keep indoors,
and pot up the ones that germinate (ordinary soil will do, but I use
my own potting mixture in 4" pots). This protects them from rotting
due to a cold, wet spell just after they have germinated, which can
cause havoc with them (as well as with dwarf and French beans and,
in extreme cases, broad beans and peas).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Kay Easton

In article v6atc.141$NF6.34@newsfe2-win, Joanne
writes
I recently sowed runner beans, some indoors in warmth, and some outdoors in
pots. However, none of them have germinated -- some have rotted and turned
mouldy, and some are still sitting there doing nothing at all. My mangetout
sowed at the same time are doing really well. I thought runner beans were
easy to grow, so what might I have done wrong?

You may have grown them a wee bit early, depending on where you are in
the country. They are more susceptible to frost than peas (ordinary,
snap or mangetout) or french beans. I would sow mid may to plant out in
June, or outside in June.

You always seem to get one or two in a packet which rot. They're slower
than mange tout to germinate, so the ones which are doing nothing may
just need more time.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 27-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Cerumen

"Joanne" wrote in message
I recently sowed runner beans, some indoors in warmth, and some outdoors

in
pots. However, none of them have germinated -- some have rotted and

turned
mouldy, and some are still sitting there doing nothing at all. My

mangetout
sowed at the same time are doing really well. I thought runner beans

were
easy to grow, so what might I have done wrong?

I have never sown them in pots either indoors or out as I have no
germination problems with sowing them in the garden. My guess would be
that either they were drastically over-watered, or possibly the pots or
growing medium used
were infected with some fungus?

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 27-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Cerumen" writes:

| I have never sown them in pots either indoors or out as I have no
| germination problems with sowing them in the garden. My guess would be
| that either they were drastically over-watered, or possibly the pots or
| growing medium used were infected with some fungus?

I get a 95% kill rate on French and runner beans, sometimes peas
and very occasionally broad beans if the weather turns cold and
wet after they have started to germinate. The killer is definitely
fungal, but the spores are everywhere in my garden (whatever it is),
and there may be some insect involvement. The 'solution' is to
ensure that they are not blocked between when they start to absorb
water and when they have produced their first true leaves. They
can take temporary blockages after that, with only slight losses.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM