Old 27-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Kay Easton

Default Runner Beans

In article v6atc.141$NF6.34@newsfe2-win, Joanne
writes
I recently sowed runner beans, some indoors in warmth, and some outdoors in
pots. However, none of them have germinated -- some have rotted and turned
mouldy, and some are still sitting there doing nothing at all. My mangetout
sowed at the same time are doing really well. I thought runner beans were
easy to grow, so what might I have done wrong?

You may have grown them a wee bit early, depending on where you are in
the country. They are more susceptible to frost than peas (ordinary,
snap or mangetout) or french beans. I would sow mid may to plant out in
June, or outside in June.

You always seem to get one or two in a packet which rot. They're slower
than mange tout to germinate, so the ones which are doing nothing may
just need more time.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: