Old 27-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Runner Beans

In article ,
"Cerumen" writes:

| I have never sown them in pots either indoors or out as I have no
| germination problems with sowing them in the garden. My guess would be
| that either they were drastically over-watered, or possibly the pots or
| growing medium used were infected with some fungus?

I get a 95% kill rate on French and runner beans, sometimes peas
and very occasionally broad beans if the weather turns cold and
wet after they have started to germinate. The killer is definitely
fungal, but the spores are everywhere in my garden (whatever it is),
and there may be some insect involvement. The 'solution' is to
ensure that they are not blocked between when they start to absorb
water and when they have produced their first true leaves. They
can take temporary blockages after that, with only slight losses.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.