Old 27-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Liza

Default Spinach as green manure???

Spinach likes a great deal of nitrogen, like silverbeet, and other green
leaf crops. I have never heard of it being used as a green manure crop.

As green manure crops are generally used to add nitrogen to the soil, though
they may also be for other purposes, I wouldn't personally use spinach as a
manure crop.

What is the soil like you intend to plant the spinach in ?
If you found the last crop you had on that bed was overly leafy with small
fruit, maybe a spinach crop is what it needs. If you were adding compost to
the bed, I would not recommend to use spinach as a green manure crop.

"Rick" wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience or advice on using spinach as green
manure? I always have plenty of spinach seed that I could sprinkle
around after the fall harvest.

Thanks!

Rick