Old 23-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Rick

Default Spinach as green manure???

Does anyone have any experience or advice on using spinach as green
manure? I always have plenty of spinach seed that I could sprinkle
around after the fall harvest.

Thanks!

Rick
Old 27-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Liza

Spinach likes a great deal of nitrogen, like silverbeet, and other green
leaf crops. I have never heard of it being used as a green manure crop.

As green manure crops are generally used to add nitrogen to the soil, though
they may also be for other purposes, I wouldn't personally use spinach as a
manure crop.

What is the soil like you intend to plant the spinach in ?
If you found the last crop you had on that bed was overly leafy with small
fruit, maybe a spinach crop is what it needs. If you were adding compost to
the bed, I would not recommend to use spinach as a green manure crop.

Old 29-05-2004, 01:05 AM
someone

Rick wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience or advice on using spinach as green
manure? I always have plenty of spinach seed that I could sprinkle
around after the fall harvest.

Thanks!

Rick

Spinach will not add a lot of nitrogen to your soil. You might be better
off growing Phacelia or trefoil or some other clover-type thing to add
nitrogen as a green manure if you want a plot of land to lie fallow for a
season. Phacelia looks nice, too.

s.

Old 29-05-2004, 09:02 PM
nswong

Hi,

Rick wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience or advice on using spinach as

green
manure? I always have plenty of spinach seed that I could

sprinkle
around after the fall harvest.

As long as it will not take much effort to grow the spinach, and it do
grow well and fast for you, you can use it as a catch crop to
scavenging nutrient, as well as cover crop to reduce erosion.

But since spinach will decompose very fast once till in soil, and lost
with rain water, as for green manure, you should mixed spinach with
other high carbon plant(eg. ryegrass) for holding the nitrogen release
from spinach.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
How does spinach grow, pls? Request for some info re spinach. fitwell Edible Gardening 11 03-06-2004 03:11 AM
Spinach as green manure??? Rick Edible Gardening 0 23-05-2004 02:02 PM
green manure? PA United Kingdom 3 19-10-2003 10:12 PM
PHACELIA TANACETIFOLIA as a green manure al Gardening 2 25-08-2003 12:22 AM