Old 28-05-2004, 04:10 AM
Sir Douglas Cook

Default Fin Rot

Thanks for the Prompt Reply,
You made me laugh a couple of times,,,
Yes, it is my Angels that I am worried about.

So is treating the whole main tank, the only way to avoid reoccurrence?

Many Thanks in advance.

--
Sir Douglas Cook

http://www.greyspace.bravehostNOSPAM.com/
Remove "NOSPAM" for correct address
London Ontario Canada
Aquarium Maintenance Man for Hire

"NetMax" wrote in message
"Sir Douglas Cook" wrote in
message ...
I have a 100 gallon fresh water tank with 12 angelfish, or 6 breeding

pair.
I discovered that I have a couple that stayed up in the corner, at the

time
I thought it was just what fish do, territorial and stuff.

Weeks later I noticed their fins starting to look as if they are

melted.

Yesterday, I removed all the angels and put them in a sick tank
and I am now treating them for "Fin Rot".
With, Maroxy and Maracyn...

My question is about the Main tank,
I have removed the plants and turned up the heater to 86 decrees and

added
a hand full of aquarium salt.

My question is what should I have done, if anything to make sure that
there is nothing nasty in the main tank when I return my angels after

five
days
of the sick tank???????????????

Many Thanks in advance
--
Sir Douglas Cook

Your tank or a customers? The best way to wipe out bacterial infections,
is to treat the main tank. However, the fastest way to cure your fish is
to get them out and treat them in new water, so ymmv. I've never read
any reference to the time it takes for bacteria to die-off in an empty
tank. All sterilizing techniques will also wipe out your biological
filtration, and most delicate plants. I've sometimes used a combination
of massive water changes, gravel vacuuming and changing all filter media
(for planted tanks). Unplanted tanks are much easier. Fin rot might be
fungal or bacterial. If fungal, it might have coincided with something
else parasitic. This fungus/parasite combo is a bit easier to eradicate
that a stubborn bacterial fin rot, so again ymmv.

Personal advice (and not backed by any documentation), some of these
diseases are very species specific. There is a good chance that another
type of fish would be unaffected if dropped into the 100g right now, and
if the Angels were cured in the hospital tank, that they would relapse in
the 100g. *I hate fish diseases*. Whatever your strategy, you might need
to go one last round of medication after you move the cured Angels back
into the 100g, just be prepared and watching for it. On the up side,
their immune system will be in far better shape for a gentle round 2, if
it occurs.
--
www.NetMax.tk