Old 28-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Kay Lancaster

Default recommendation wanted for a blue perennial to give as a gift -

On 27 May 2004 17:21:35 -0700, color_me_ wrote:
hi there... i'm planning on giving a flower as a gift, to a neighbor,
who works a lot in his yard, so i want it to be something he can
plant, that will bloom every year... also i'd like it to be blue &
preferably, relatively big tall and strong. i'm wondering about an
iris. any recommendations? many thanks, ~raine

The choice of plant rather depends on where you are, and what
soil and water and light conditions are available. There are,
for instance, various species and cultivars of Iris that do
well in various parts of the US... but most require fairly
full sun. Some cultivars of the common bearded iris rebloom
in some areas in the fall... that's a nice bonus.

You might also want to think about what color you think "blue" is.
There are very few really blue flowered plants... delphiniums, iris,
Lithodora, some Salvia, Gentiana, some Meconopsis, etc., but the majority of
"blue" flowers are actually in the lavender or purple shades.

My suggestion: go to some of the best nurseries in your area, tell
them what you're looking for and what sort of garden your friend
has, and ask them what they'd recommend.

Kay