Old 28-05-2004, 10:03 PM
William Hill

Default slc wendy's valentine 'june'/ growing conditions

(Richard Silverstein) wrote in message . com...
My wendy's valentine isn't too happy & I'd like some help in getting
it the care mine needs. Right now, it doesn't look terribly
healthy--not sick, just not happy. The leaves are a bit puckered like
the skin of an older person. It's not growing very fast if at all &
not putting out much new growth. I must be doing something wrong, but
I'd like to know what.

Right now, I water about 1x per wk. I fertilize every other wk. w. a
generic orchid mix. It gets a moderate amt. of direct sun (easterly
exposure), but I try to put my window shade down most of the day so it
won't get burnt. I'm using a med. size bark growth medium.

Can anyone point to a website that describes the care this plant
likes?

Hi Richard, Grow in about Phal light; plant in medium grade mix
(cocoanut, charcoal, perlite etc.) Your problem is watering 1 time per
week--Oncidiinae don't like to dry out--water 2 times per week (in a
finer mix) water 1 time with clear water & 1 time with 1/4 teaspoon of
fertilizer to the gallon of water. That plant is 1/2 Miltoniopsis so I
wouldn't let it get too hot !! Check our site at
www.orchidislandorchids.com --I don't have a "care page" on the site
yet (it's brand new) Most people who grow Cattleya & Dendrobiums &
then add oncidiinae tend to water like Cats. ---Cats want to dry out
Oncids DON'T. Hope this helps, Bill