Old 29-05-2004, 12:06 PM
George

Default Pondmaster 3600 -- shaft/impeller broken after just one month!

"Remydog" wrote in message
Such as? This pump comes highly recommended in several web sites that I've
visited.

MSK

I use an Flotec brand portable submersible that is rated at 1/6 hp and 1400 gph
(depending on head). It has an all metal impeller and shaft, duel ball bearing
design, and is oil-free. I am a geologist who specializes in environmental
remediation of sites with contaminated ground water. As such, I have to use
pumps that are both reliable and durable. That experience, as well as the many
years of experience I have raising fish has come in handy in the design of my
pond. See this link for more information on the pump I use. It has been very
reliable, and can practically pump pure sand without damaging the pump - in
fact, before I started using it for the pond, I used it to pump water out from
under my carport where I was installing a new concrete pad - water that was
sand-laden:

http://www.flotecpump.com/

Of course, it is a submersible, and not an out of water design. Your needs will
vary. The most important features to remember when chosing a pump is its
reliability, its construction, and the discharge per feet of head. Personally,
I would spend the few extra bucks and go with the industrial grade units simply
because they need less maintenance, have a more durable construction, and
generally a higher output. Avoid pumps with plastic moving parts if you want
them to last in your pond more than a year.

"George" wrote in message
.. .

"Remydog" wrote in message
I can't believe it, but after looking at the shaft material, I'm not
surprised. It appears to be a flimsy piece of plastic, so I suspect that

the
torque of the motor, combined with any sort of load, results in

breakage.

I'm hoping the place that sold it to me will replace it today without

too
much hassle.

Anyone else having problems with this pump?

MSK

Take it back and buy a real pump.