Old 28-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Remydog

Default Pondmaster 3600 -- shaft/impeller broken after just one month!

I can't believe it, but after looking at the shaft material, I'm not
surprised. It appears to be a flimsy piece of plastic, so I suspect that the
torque of the motor, combined with any sort of load, results in breakage.

I'm hoping the place that sold it to me will replace it today without too
much hassle.

Anyone else having problems with this pump?

MSK

Old 28-05-2004, 04:16 PM
George

"Remydog" wrote in message
I can't believe it, but after looking at the shaft material, I'm not
surprised. It appears to be a flimsy piece of plastic, so I suspect that the
torque of the motor, combined with any sort of load, results in breakage.

I'm hoping the place that sold it to me will replace it today without too
much hassle.

Anyone else having problems with this pump?

MSK

Take it back and buy a real pump.

Old 28-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Michael Shaffer

I have the 3600 also and the impeller shaft has broken twice (because
the impeller housing broke and caused a misalignment). Both times I got
a free replacement from pondliner.com

Old 29-05-2004, 02:08 AM
RichToyBox

I have a 2400 and I have had to replace the impeller once. I think
Pondmaster has a design flaw, and they make up for it by selling the
impellers fairly cheaply, like about $10. I still think that they are a
super pump for a submersible pump.
--
RichToyBox

Old 29-05-2004, 03:12 AM
Remydog

Well, the retailer gave me a replacement pump no questions asked. However,
when I plugged this one in, it's making one heck of a rattling noise
suggesting that the impeller is not in perfect alignment. Called them and
they said to bring this one back. Royal pain to have to go through this and
I'm sure it's no picnic for the store.

MSK

Old 29-05-2004, 12:06 PM
George

"Remydog" wrote in message
Such as? This pump comes highly recommended in several web sites that I've
visited.

MSK

I use an Flotec brand portable submersible that is rated at 1/6 hp and 1400 gph
(depending on head). It has an all metal impeller and shaft, duel ball bearing
design, and is oil-free. I am a geologist who specializes in environmental
remediation of sites with contaminated ground water. As such, I have to use
pumps that are both reliable and durable. That experience, as well as the many
years of experience I have raising fish has come in handy in the design of my
pond. See this link for more information on the pump I use. It has been very
reliable, and can practically pump pure sand without damaging the pump - in
fact, before I started using it for the pond, I used it to pump water out from
under my carport where I was installing a new concrete pad - water that was
sand-laden:

http://www.flotecpump.com/

Of course, it is a submersible, and not an out of water design. Your needs will
vary. The most important features to remember when chosing a pump is its
reliability, its construction, and the discharge per feet of head. Personally,
I would spend the few extra bucks and go with the industrial grade units simply
because they need less maintenance, have a more durable construction, and
generally a higher output. Avoid pumps with plastic moving parts if you want
them to last in your pond more than a year.

"George" wrote in message
.. .

Old 29-05-2004, 12:07 PM
George

"Remydog" wrote in message
Well, the retailer gave me a replacement pump no questions asked. However,
when I plugged this one in, it's making one heck of a rattling noise
suggesting that the impeller is not in perfect alignment. Called them and
they said to bring this one back. Royal pain to have to go through this and
I'm sure it's no picnic for the store.

MSK

Honestly, I think that pondmaster pumps are over-rated. If you continue to have
problems, you might consider asking for a refund, and look for a Flotec pump, or
similar brand.

http://www.flotecpump.com/

Old 29-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Remydog

George,

Thanks for the advice. What do you know about their higher volume pumps? The
pump I have is rated at 3600 gallons, and I need something like that to
power all that I have running.

MSK

"George" wrote in message
. ..

"Remydog" wrote in message
[...]

"George" wrote in message
.. .

Old 29-05-2004, 07:04 PM
George

"Remydog" wrote in message
George,

Thanks for the advice. What do you know about their higher volume pumps? The
pump I have is rated at 3600 gallons, and I need something like that to
power all that I have running.

MSK

They have a stainless steel waterfall/utility pump that is rated at 4100 gph.
It is an excellent pump. It has a 2 year waranty, which is quite good for a
submersible pump. Most pumps only have a one year waranty. The model number is
Model FP0S4100X - 1/2 HP. It is rated for continuous duty. It will run your
waterfall, and with a tee adapter and a regulator valve, will also run your
filtration as well. I would think that it would be more than adequate for most
purposes. I don't know about the price.

Here is a pdf file with more information on the pump, and on others that they
sell:

http://www.flotecpump.com/pdf/FP514-EN.PDF

"George" wrote in message
. ..

"Remydog" wrote in message
[...]

"George" wrote in message
.. .

Old 30-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Karen Mullen

In article wtRtc.6174$IB.1077@attbi_s04, "Remydog"
writes:

Well, the retailer gave me a replacement pump no questions asked. However,
when I plugged this one in, it's making one heck of a rattling noise
suggesting that the impeller is not in perfect alignment. Called them and
they said to bring this one back. Royal pain to have to go through this and
I'm sure it's no picnic for the store.

I have had the same problem. Mine broke 2 days after installation, Danner
replaced the parts and it ran for the rest of the season last year. Put it in
the pond and it ran for 3 weeks started making one hell of a racket and then
stopped. I called Danner again and they did say after asking about the
impeller that there was a design flaw and they are sent me a new design pump, I
just had to send back the old pump. I have 2 other Pondmaster pumps that have
been running continuously for many years without any problems. What she asked
me about the 3600 was...when you pull out the shaft, does it have wings down
where the hex (nut) sit? If no it's the old model and should be replaced by
the newer model with this design flaw corrected.

If you want to try calling Danner directly the nbr is 631-234-5261 ext. 107 her
name is Veronica. That way you'll get a NEW pump and not another old model.
They are guaranteed for 3 years.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 31-05-2004, 07:05 AM
Don

I have a Cal Pump 1200 GPH that's been running 24/7 for 7 years now without
a single problem. They make larger pumps also.

--
Don