Old 29-05-2004, 12:29 PM
martin

Default Grape vine ?

On Sat, 29 May 2004 12:09:25 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Pam Moore
writes
On Mon, 24 May 2004 23:08:52 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

Black Hamburg.

Rusty, please tell me; I have a vine which was given to me as Black
Hamburg. It is outside on my allotment and not every year do I get
ripe grapes. However, even when ripe the grapes are about the size of
blackcurrants.
Does this sound like Black Hamburg to you?

Sounds very like my mother's Black Hamburg!

Useful links at
http://www.hdra.org.uk/organicgardening/gh_vines.htm

http://www.collectionspicturelibrary.com/bioBrown.html
"In 1764 Capability Brown was appointed H. M. Surveyor of Gardens and
Waters at Hampton Court, an appointment which brought him a salary of
£2000 a year and an official residence in the palace grounds. In 1768
he planted the famous Black Hamburg vine there."

http://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley...sleypciaug.asp
"Several vines are represented in the Model Fruit Gardens including
both wine and dessert grapes. Vitis vinifera 'Schiava Grossa'
(previously known as ‘Black Hamburg’) is grown in the Curate’s or
Ground Vinery, an ideal method of growing early greenhouse dessert
grape cultivars without the need for a greenhouse. The vinery is
triangular in section and just over 2 metres long, 1 metre wide and 50
centimetres high and sits upon 2 rows of paving slabs. The vine is
planted outside in a well-prepared bed, the vine rod lies along the
centre of the slabs and is grown as a single cordon. The developing
bunches of grapes lie on the slabs and ripen early in the heat of the
sun."