Old 24-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Ged

Default Grape vine ?

can anyone suggest a reliable grape that will grow in the southeast U.K. on
a south facing wall,
thanks,
Ged

Old 24-05-2004, 10:12 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Ged" wrote in message
can anyone suggest a reliable grape that will grow in the southeast U.K.

on
a south facing wall,
thanks,
Ged

Brant should be O.K. - just finished tying ours in on top of our pergola and
it has masses of proto-grapes.

Grew it up a North facing fence in our South facing garden, so it started
slow but once it got its head into the sunlight it really took off.

Notcutts sold it as a decorative/foliage plant but other listings show it as
a reliable cropper.

We certainly get nice black grapes off it.

We are about as East as you can go in East Anglia - Felixstowe.

HTH
Dave R

Old 25-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Ged" contains these words:

can anyone suggest a reliable grape that will grow in the southeast U.K. on
a south facing wall,

Black Hamburg. There was one running wild in the place we moved to in
1950, and I cropped it (admitedly small grapes) and even made wine from
it, and that was against a west-facing hedge, shaded by a big sycamore.

I've just planted one up my south-facing red brick gable-end in Norfolk.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 25-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Kevin Groves

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Ged" contains these words:

can anyone suggest a reliable grape that will grow in the southeast U.K. on
a south facing wall,

Black Hamburg. There was one running wild in the place we moved to in

I'm growing this is SE Kent. It's still very young (planted last season)
but it's growing very fast.

Kev,
Old 29-05-2004, 11:25 AM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:29:54 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

Brant should be O.K. - just finished tying ours in on top of our pergola and
it has masses of proto-grapes.

David, I'm curious that you recommend Brandt as I have heard Bob
Flowerdew say that is is the worst tasting grape. You don't agree?

Pam in Bristol

Old 29-05-2004, 11:26 AM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 24 May 2004 23:08:52 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

Black Hamburg.

Rusty, please tell me; I have a vine which was given to me as Black
Hamburg. It is outside on my allotment and not every year do I get
ripe grapes. However, even when ripe the grapes are about the size of
blackcurrants.
Does this sound like Black Hamburg to you?

Pam in Bristol
Old 29-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

Black Hamburg.

Rusty, please tell me; I have a vine which was given to me as Black
Hamburg. It is outside on my allotment and not every year do I get
ripe grapes. However, even when ripe the grapes are about the size of
blackcurrants.
Does this sound like Black Hamburg to you?

Sounds very like my mother's Black Hamburg!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 29-05-2004, 12:29 PM
martin

On Sat, 29 May 2004 12:09:25 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

Black Hamburg.

Rusty, please tell me; I have a vine which was given to me as Black
Hamburg. It is outside on my allotment and not every year do I get
ripe grapes. However, even when ripe the grapes are about the size of
blackcurrants.
Does this sound like Black Hamburg to you?

Sounds very like my mother's Black Hamburg!

Useful links at
http://www.hdra.org.uk/organicgardening/gh_vines.htm

http://www.collectionspicturelibrary.com/bioBrown.html
"In 1764 Capability Brown was appointed H. M. Surveyor of Gardens and
Waters at Hampton Court, an appointment which brought him a salary of
£2000 a year and an official residence in the palace grounds. In 1768
he planted the famous Black Hamburg vine there."

http://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley...sleypciaug.asp
"Several vines are represented in the Model Fruit Gardens including
both wine and dessert grapes. Vitis vinifera 'Schiava Grossa'
(previously known as ‘Black Hamburg’) is grown in the Curate’s or
Ground Vinery, an ideal method of growing early greenhouse dessert
grape cultivars without the need for a greenhouse. The vinery is
triangular in section and just over 2 metres long, 1 metre wide and 50
centimetres high and sits upon 2 rows of paving slabs. The vine is
planted outside in a well-prepared bed, the vine rod lies along the
centre of the slabs and is grown as a single cordon. The developing
bunches of grapes lie on the slabs and ripen early in the heat of the
sun."
Old 29-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

Black Hamburg.

Rusty, please tell me; I have a vine which was given to me as Black
Hamburg. It is outside on my allotment and not every year do I get
ripe grapes. However, even when ripe the grapes are about the size of
blackcurrants.
Does this sound like Black Hamburg to you?

Pam in Bristol

We grow Black Hamurgh vines in a greenhouse. They produce masses of huge
black, luscious, sweet grapes every year. Good for eating, winemaking,
freezing etc. They propagate well from cuttings.
They need a lot of summer and winter pruning, but they are well worth
the effort.

Cuttings taken from the same vine, growing outside 20 ft. away never
produce edible grapes. Most years they flower very late then wither
away. Some varieties of dry white grapes are harvested locally in
favourable years, but they are grown mainly for decoration.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 30-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:
wrote:

Black Hamburg.

Rusty, please tell me; I have a vine which was given to me as Black
Hamburg. It is outside on my allotment and not every year do I get
ripe grapes. However, even when ripe the grapes are about the size of
blackcurrants.
Does this sound like Black Hamburg to you?

Well, Black Hamburg isn't a large grape, and grown outside they do tend
to be a lot smaller even, but blackcurrants sounds a bit small aven for
a starving vine. In an unheated greenhouse they are about the size of
marbles unless you really cut back on the number of bunches.

Vines need a lot of water, but that should be no problem as the roots
will find it, however deep it is - within reason. They also need
feeding, and usually lacking the traditional dead donkey when I plant
one, I amass a lot of bones from the kitchen and supplement them from
the butcher's throwouts and bury those about two and a half feet under
the vine. (And set some tubes of ratbait nearby!)

Then I mix a good quantity of bone meal (and/or hoof-and-horn) with the
soil round it.

In an open aspect (i.e., not against a brick wall or in a greenhouse)
you should expect to get grapes thinks between the size of a ·36" and
a ·45" ball more thinks that might be difficult to visualise for a non
muzzle-loading shooter - wrens' eggs to robins' eggs? /thinks

When I was an anklebiter I 'found' a Black Hamburg which had gone feral
(stop me if I've told you already) in my corner of the garden, where, on
doing a bit of archæology, I discovered a greenhouse had once stood. The
grapes on that were as described - between the size of a wren's egg and
a robin's egg. In the years they ripened I made some pretty wicked wine
from them.

For an eating grape, it makes a very pleasant wine.

Old 30-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

We grow Black Hamurgh vines in a greenhouse. They produce masses of huge
black, luscious, sweet grapes every year. Good for eating, winemaking,
freezing etc. They propagate well from cuttings.
They need a lot of summer and winter pruning, but they are well worth
the effort.

Cuttings taken from the same vine, growing outside 20 ft. away never
produce edible grapes.

Watch this space - next year! My Black Hamburg went in about a fortnight
ago, by a south-facing red brick gable-end.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/hsefront.jpg - shows a view before I
bough^H^H^purchased it.

Most years they flower very late then wither
away. Some varieties of dry white grapes are harvested locally in
favourable years, but they are grown mainly for decoration.

We have a good crop of vinyards here in Norfolk/Suffolk, from which some
award-winning wines have come.

Don't give up! Even if it means erecting a polythene tent over the vines
from early spring until the grapes are ripe.