Old 29-05-2004, 03:09 PM
RichardS

Default Thunbergia/Ipomea good bed-mates?

I'm just about to plant about 15 thunbergia "Susie mixed" into their normal
flowering container - a 30cm round terracotta bowl (with appropriate
drainage). They'll be growing up a 1.5m (approx) willow (I think) wigwam,
and last year were perfectly happy doing that.

However, I've also got a dozen or so Ipomea "Crimson Rambler" and whilst
most of these will go into one or two other containers to grow up trellis on
the wall/fence, I was thinking about including a few of them with the
Thunbergia to add a little variety to the display.

However, would this be such a good idea? I'm worried that one or other of
the plants might be a little too vigourous and crowd out the other one. I
haven't grown this particular Ipomea before and don't know quite how
vigorous it is, nor how many to include if it is suitable. 3 or 4 in the
mix with the 15 thunbergia?

Any thoughts?

--
Richard Sampson