Old 29-05-2004, 09:02 PM
nswong

Default Spinach as green manure???

Hi,

Rick wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience or advice on using spinach as

green
manure? I always have plenty of spinach seed that I could

sprinkle
around after the fall harvest.

As long as it will not take much effort to grow the spinach, and it do
grow well and fast for you, you can use it as a catch crop to
scavenging nutrient, as well as cover crop to reduce erosion.

But since spinach will decompose very fast once till in soil, and lost
with rain water, as for green manure, you should mixed spinach with
other high carbon plant(eg. ryegrass) for holding the nitrogen release
from spinach.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m