Old 30-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Pam - gardengal

Default Leaf Miners in my Columbine

"gregpresley" wrote in message
Hi Pam, thanks for the info columbine cutworms - I have several plants
which literally lost the majority of their foliage in ONE NIGHT. You're
correct however. The plants are sending up new foliage from the base. Do
you think our heat wave of March and April accelerated the growth of these
buggers? (I long for the heat and sunshine now - it's been cloudy and

rainy
for nearly 2 weeks now, and today is FREEZING).

I dunno, Greg - I have always had a problem with cutworms and columbine
regardless of how balmy the spring may be. They don't seem to bother too
much else, though, and I have a policy of peaceful coexistance with most
garden critters - unless I catch them in the act, then all bets are off!!

Spooky weather - tornadoes in the PNW, what next?!? And of course the
monsoons have to arrive when the only reliable piece of transportation I
have is my little antique convertible with the hole in the top and the
defunct windshield wiper motor. Nice timing!

pam - gardengal

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"BottleCap" wrote in message
Hello

I have one single columbine that has a pretty bad case of leaf miners.

know usually you can just pick off the infested leaves and discard.

But
my
whole plant is taken over. I'm afraid if I don't take some action

soon
it
will kill my plant. Would insecticidal soap do the trick? Is there

any
way
of getting rid of these little things? Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
BC

Unfortunately, columbine leaf miners are not affected by insecticidal

soaps
as they reside INSIDE the leaves and are untouched by spraying. I have

yet
to see them kill a plant, though. This spring, the miners haven't been

problem but columbine cutworms have - pretty odd to see all these

blooming
columbines with nothing but skeletonized foliage to offset them. Just

cut
off the affected foliage - new leaves will be produced almost

immediately
and should develop past the normal life cycle of the miners.

pam - gardengal