Old 30-05-2004, 05:02 AM
B & J

Default recommendation wanted for a blue perennial to give as a gift -

"color_me_" wrote in message
om...
hi there... i'm planning on giving a flower as a gift, to a neighbor,
who works a lot in his yard, so i want it to be something he can
plant, that will bloom every year... also i'd like it to be blue &
preferably, relatively big tall and strong. i'm wondering about an
iris. any recommendations? many thanks, ~raine

One of my favorite blue perennials that blooms all summer is salvia
guaranitica. It grows four feet or a little more in height and can be
slightly invasive. It suffer from no fungus that I know of, and few insects
bother its foliage. Shearing back the tops with they become a bit ratty
looking will bring on a fresh burst of blooms. As a bonus, hummingbirds love
it.

Here are sites with pictures:

http://www.hort.net/gallery/view/lam/salgu/

http://www.floridata.com/ref/s/salv_gua.cfm