Old 30-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Ben

Default [IBC] Newbie - banyan

sorry for the multiple replying here.. something went wrong with my software
and i thot the posts didn't go thru.

"Ben" schreef in bericht
Thanks guys, this certainly helped.

Some more things (while i haven't visited the library for some good
literature on the topic):
Let it grow free for now.

* Do i need to let it grow for another year or so, what signs would
indicate it's time to? i believe pruning can be done twice a year (before
and after winter, right?).
* branches.. still to early, but i was wondering when branches normally
appear.. for all i know it can become a tall tree before any branches

appear
(let alone growing aerial roots) any way to help forming branches?

i'll be transferring it into a bigger pot later on.
regards,
Ben
"Henrik Gistvall" schreef in bericht
Ben wrote:

I've found some bonsai info on the web, but not really answers to some

of my
questions:
- when can you prune? can you start off as early as this?

Let it grow free for now.

- the leaves are becoming bigger and bigger. any hints as to keep them
small?
- how do you make it grow thicker instead of taller? put it out of the

sun?
A big pot (quite shallow and wide) and sun will help. A seedling in a
bonsai pot will stay a seedling in a bonsai pot. You need to let it
grow.

- food? what to give, what not to give? I've seen special bonsai food

in
green centres (shops) when to start with that, if at all?

Often just an expensive version of regular houseplant fertilizer. Start
now and just follow the label.

- any do-s and don't-s

Use a well draining soil mix not just regular potting soil. Let the soil
dry up between waterings (not bone dry) and wather thoroughly when

watering.

- where to find good information

Look for a local bonsaiclub. Look for books at the library in a shop or
on the web.

And last, Iīm not familiar with this species so I canīt even say if itīs
good for bonsai. Iīll leave that to someone else.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

****

****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/