Old 30-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Timothy

Default What's the Best Small Weeding tool/technique?

On Sun, 30 May 2004 17:22:00 +0000, Brigitte J. wrote:

What should I sharpen the tools with?

When I'm out in the field and away from the shop, I use a flat file. A
medium to fine file will do great. When I can't find the flat file in the
tool bucket (employees never put stuff back where it goes...) ,I use my
rat tail file (chain saw file). When I'm at the shop, I use my angle
grinder or bench grinder. What ever works better for the tool.

I would suggest that you do an experiment with your hula hoe. Buy one and
weed a little with it. Put a bit of an edge on it and weed again and see
the difference for yourself. It maynot be a big difference for you and you
may choose not to sharpen it in the furture. I also suggest that you do
the same to your shovel.

When using the hoe, push forward for the first cut and pull back for the
second cut. The second cut should be a little deeper if you can. Work a
few square feet, stop hoeing and get your bow rake out. Rake up your weeds
and look for the few that didn't come out or for the ones you missed. In a
veggi garden, I tend to dig a two foot deep (if space allows) and I dump
all the annual weeds into it and cover. Ya got to feed the worms, right?
lol

Good luck and enjoy the hula hoe.....