Old 30-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Zemedelec

Default What's the Best Small Weeding tool/technique?

Low-tech method: wet the ground thoroughly, then rip them up by their little
roots. Or maybe combine the two methods?
zemedelec
Old 30-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Brigitte J.

"Timothy" wrote in message
s.com...
On Sat, 29 May 2004 11:23:37 -0500, Brigitte J. wrote:

After reading all of the advise in this thread, I decided to purchase a
stirrup/hula hoe. Someone mentioned sharpening it. The one I

purchased,
and all the ones I looked at were not at all sharp. Rather dull and

more
of a rounded surface. Is this how they are intended to be? Seems it
would work much better if it were sharp. I should I sharpen it? I have

large file, would that work?

I sharpen all my weeders and shovels. To sharpen the hula hoe, flat
sharpen the bottom of the tool and angle sharpen the inside edge of the
tool. Do not give the tools too sharp of an edge. This will only dull with
use and the thin edge will chip and bend. I also suggest that you sharpen
your shovels. A light edge on the schoop side of the shovel will make it a
lot easier to dig with.

What should I sharpen the tools with?

Brigitte

Old 30-05-2004, 07:05 PM
gary davis

On 5/29/04 9:23 AM, in article ,
"Brigitte J." wrote:

"Blarneystone" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 25 May 2004 13:24:03 GMT, Blarneystone

wrote:

Hi all,

I've got a very small 8ft by 8ft garden that has tomato and bean
plants. My problem is that for some reason each year thousands of
little grass type of weeds pop up. They are difficult to get to do to
sheer number and closeness to the other veggie plants.

Is there a small weeding tool that might help? Or do you have any
recommendations. It seems I'll weed one day and they have returned the
next.

P.S. I saw this little tool that looked like a serrated Sickle(sp) that
had a fork at the end that is for small weeding. would that amount to
anything?

Many thanks!

Thanks again all for the great suggestions! I'm going to look around town
for some hula weeders and such.

After reading all of the advise in this thread, I decided to purchase a
stirrup/hula hoe. Someone mentioned sharpening it. The one I purchased,
and all the ones I looked at were not at all sharp. Rather dull and more of
a rounded surface. Is this how they are intended to be? Seems it would
work much better if it were sharp. I should I sharpen it? I have a large
file, would that work?

Thanks,
Brigitte

Hi Brigitte
I'm sure there are several different styles of stirrup hoes (also called
push-pull hoe, scuffle hoe). The one I recommend is fairly sharp and the
stirrup and blade move a little on the wooden handle. (The blade and holder
'rocks' a little). I have seen this one used on farms and bought one just
recently. It works! If the one you bought is not sharp I don't think it is
the one I have described above. But then just what is 'sharp'?
Someone mentioned a site http://www.plantea.com/weeding-tips-part2.htm
There is a picture on this site of the hoe I, and someone else, recommend.
You have to scroll down to find it. It is under the heading "More Cool Tool
Tips". It is clearly identified as a scuffle or stirrup hoe. Does the hoe
you bought look like this one? If not, keep looking. You won't be sorry.
Good luck
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada

PS: You can subscribe to a newsletter from Marion Owen (on site mentioned
above). I find it very informative...the info for the newsletter is on the
bottom of her site.

To reply please remove...yoursocks...

Old 30-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 30 May 2004 17:22:00 +0000, Brigitte J. wrote:

What should I sharpen the tools with?

When I'm out in the field and away from the shop, I use a flat file. A
medium to fine file will do great. When I can't find the flat file in the
tool bucket (employees never put stuff back where it goes...) ,I use my
rat tail file (chain saw file). When I'm at the shop, I use my angle
grinder or bench grinder. What ever works better for the tool.

I would suggest that you do an experiment with your hula hoe. Buy one and
weed a little with it. Put a bit of an edge on it and weed again and see
the difference for yourself. It maynot be a big difference for you and you
may choose not to sharpen it in the furture. I also suggest that you do
the same to your shovel.

When using the hoe, push forward for the first cut and pull back for the
second cut. The second cut should be a little deeper if you can. Work a
few square feet, stop hoeing and get your bow rake out. Rake up your weeds
and look for the few that didn't come out or for the ones you missed. In a
veggi garden, I tend to dig a two foot deep (if space allows) and I dump
all the annual weeds into it and cover. Ya got to feed the worms, right?
lol

Good luck and enjoy the hula hoe.....

[IMG] code is On

world's finest weeding tool-- tongue-groove-pliers; a good design forrobot-weeders [email protected] Plant Science 10 15-08-2008 06:48 AM
weeding tool brucegooglegroups Lawns 6 29-04-2006 01:09 PM
weeding tool brucegooglegroups Gardening 18 28-04-2006 11:19 PM
[IBC] Multi Tool technique - Master Kobayashi Ian Timshel Bonsai 1 06-05-2003 02:21 AM
Multi Tool technique - Master Kobayashi Bart Thomas Bonsai 0 05-05-2003 05:56 AM