Old 31-05-2004, 02:05 AM
tennis maynard

Default Disa plants

profpam wrote:

Hi Wendy,

I, too, have had Disas bloom once then die. Conditions where they grow better
seems to be the more acidic water environment on the east coast -- more acidic
conditions vs. more alkalaid such as in southern California. I am also of the
assumption that unless the orchid is strong enough then do not allow it to go
ahead and bloom and in particular produce a pod. It seems that an orchid that
is about to die sometimes produces a bloom and subsequent pod as a means of
survival; so, in my estimation Bob Gordon of phalaenopsis fame is correct.

. . . Pam

The problem with disas is we simply don't know them well enough. All the
experienced growers I've talked with say a plant either forms tubers
(and therefore continues to exist) or does not. No one really seems to
have a handle on why, yet. My beautiful white/pink disa which bloomed
last summer failed to produce tubers. So, when the current year's growth
dies, if there are no tubers, that's it for the plant. I'm on my fourth
round of growing Disas. The first three times I killed tham all. This
time, I have plants I got 2 years ago in the early spring still going,
and two bloomed last Chistmas as well. Absolutely pure water and low
root temps especially at night are essential. They are very
labor-intensive for me.