Old 28-05-2004, 03:06 PM
amatol

Default Disa plants

Does anyone know of a source to purchase Disa plants in USA? Thanks, Dan

Old 28-05-2004, 03:06 PM
wendy7

Hi there Dan, I bought a couple of these without reading up on them.
They require special treatment & so I killed mine but did get them to bloom
the
first year.
Wally is super nice, helpful & had great plants.
http://corchard.home.comcast.net/
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 28-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Eric Hunt

Dan,

http://www.disas.com/

is a good place to start reading up on Disas.

-Eric in SF

Old 29-05-2004, 08:03 PM
tbell

On Fri, 28 May 2004 06:23:45 -0700, amatol wrote
(in article ):

Does anyone know of a source to purchase Disa plants in USA? Thanks, Dan

You might try the following link for further Disa links:
http://www.disas.com/links.htm.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX

Old 30-05-2004, 10:06 PM
profpam

Hi Wendy,

I, too, have had Disas bloom once then die. Conditions where they grow better
seems to be the more acidic water environment on the east coast -- more acidic
conditions vs. more alkalaid such as in southern California. I am also of the
assumption that unless the orchid is strong enough then do not allow it to go
ahead and bloom and in particular produce a pod. It seems that an orchid that
is about to die sometimes produces a bloom and subsequent pod as a means of
survival; so, in my estimation Bob Gordon of phalaenopsis fame is correct.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

-----------------

Old 31-05-2004, 02:05 AM
tennis maynard

profpam wrote:

Hi Wendy,

I, too, have had Disas bloom once then die. Conditions where they grow better
seems to be the more acidic water environment on the east coast -- more acidic
conditions vs. more alkalaid such as in southern California. I am also of the
assumption that unless the orchid is strong enough then do not allow it to go
ahead and bloom and in particular produce a pod. It seems that an orchid that
is about to die sometimes produces a bloom and subsequent pod as a means of
survival; so, in my estimation Bob Gordon of phalaenopsis fame is correct.

. . . Pam

The problem with disas is we simply don't know them well enough. All the
experienced growers I've talked with say a plant either forms tubers
(and therefore continues to exist) or does not. No one really seems to
have a handle on why, yet. My beautiful white/pink disa which bloomed
last summer failed to produce tubers. So, when the current year's growth
dies, if there are no tubers, that's it for the plant. I'm on my fourth
round of growing Disas. The first three times I killed tham all. This
time, I have plants I got 2 years ago in the early spring still going,
and two bloomed last Chistmas as well. Absolutely pure water and low
root temps especially at night are essential. They are very
labor-intensive for me.

Old 03-06-2004, 12:06 AM
profpam

Yes, I agree with you regarding the tubers. I, too, have found this to be the case
in Disas. So, we actually need to make it one of the points in the growing of this
genus. Thanks, Tennis for calling this to my attention.

Old 30-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Ray

Nope. Never even grown them.

Judging by Ed Merkle's experience and postings, I don't see why it would be
an issue.

..

Old 01-08-2004, 04:27 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 06:27:40 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

Nope. Never even grown them.

Judging by Ed Merkle's experience and postings, I don't see why it would be
an issue.

The only thing I have ever heard about Dias plants is the NEED
for GOOD - Make that PURE water. They are fussy. But that was
back when people first were growing them. Maybe there is better
information out now.
SuE

Old 02-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Hillevi P

tennis maynard wrote:
profpam wrote:

[...]

Some people in the swedish orchid society have tried growing Disas in
semi-hydro, experiencing that leca seems to be too "not-retentive" of water
(I'm going to ignore the grammar, etc in this post, and blame it on english
not being my mother tongue and me being tired =) ).

A danish guy posted on our messageboard, telling us about experiments
growing Disa in perlite and/or Greenmix. It had not worked, due (he
theorized) to the roots not getting enough oxygen.

I believe, or at least would like to try, to grow Disa in Diatomite. As it
holds water but is coarse enough to allow roots to get contact with air.
Maybe try with some similar but easier terrestrial first would be a good
idea?

//Hillevi

Old 02-08-2004, 03:10 PM
tennis maynard

Hillevi P wrote:
Some people in the swedish orchid society have tried growing Disas in
semi-hydro, experiencing that leca seems to be too "not-retentive" of water
(I'm going to ignore the grammar, etc in this post, and blame it on english
not being my mother tongue and me being tired =) ).

A danish guy posted on our messageboard, telling us about experiments
growing Disa in perlite and/or Greenmix. It had not worked, due (he
theorized) to the roots not getting enough oxygen.

I believe, or at least would like to try, to grow Disa in Diatomite. As it
holds water but is coarse enough to allow roots to get contact with air.
Maybe try with some similar but easier terrestrial first would be a good
idea?

//Hillevi

Actually, that sounds loke a good idea for disas. I would think they'd
have to be watered very often in diatomite, but I think the diatomite
would be a much closer match to their natural substrate than anything else.

Disa Unifoam P Max Orchid Photos 0 01-03-2007 11:19 AM
POE 2007 - Disa (Golden Bounty x uniflora) - gorgeous pink/orange/red Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 28-02-2007 05:10 AM
Disa propagation... gareth t Orchids 3 17-01-2005 12:39 AM
Q: Disa sellers in Netherlands Traveler Orchids 1 16-12-2003 12:02 PM