Old 31-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Shiva

Default moving established plant

mike vandyke wrote:

My Dad is in the process of selling his home,there are 2 roses that my Mom
planted when she was living and in good health. I would like to dig them and
move them to my yard. I know now is probably not the best time but just
wondered what you folks thought the odds of success might be.
Thanks in advance!

I don't know where you are, but the only impediment is severe heat and
even that may be overcome with enough water and care.

Water well the day before you plan to dig them up. Cut the roses back to a
manageable size. Have large 20+ inch plastic pots ready, with rich black soil
in the bottom third. Dig around the rose in a generous circle--the idea being to get as much as the
root ball as you can. You want the dirt and little white feeder roots to be as
intact as possible. (If they are pretty big, have someone help you.) Once the
root ball is on your shovel, plop it into the pot, top off with much rich
soil (buy some if need be) and water very well. Get them into the ground asap,
at the new place. Dig as big a hole as your back can stand--at least 2'X 2'.

Good luck!