Old 31-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Glenna Rose

Default is this the weed that's been popping up?

writes:

Strangling morning glories aka bindweed, is the one thing the chickens
couldn't effectively kill even after they'd killed blackberries, and
raspberries! It would grow up in the middle of the thorny gooseberry
bush canes to escape the chickens, so even after letting the chickens
completely have the yard for the year, while it killed many weeds and
fertilized the yard, and it's amazing how chicken feet can completely
compact the top of the soil, being that it has a fair clay percentage,
sealed the surface of the soil. I would go out and dig for the
chickens and to break up that seal on the surface. All I had to do
was show the chickens the shovel and they'd made the connection shovel
= worms! One in particular would RUN like mad when she saw it and
would follow that shovel wherever it went!

While my soil doesn't compact with the chickens (instead it is beautifully
"disturbed"), I have the same experience with my chickens . . . they come
running when they see the shovel or even the rake. Also, if I move
*anything*, they are right there to see what goodies will appear. The
ladies are soooo funny.

Last weekend, when the load of steer manure was delivered, the ladies were
in heaven as they started scratching for corn and bugs. Without doubt,
they were the happiest chickens in the county, perhaps the state! LOL

Yesterday, while I was unloading barkdust out front, the ladies got out. I
had forgotten to securely fasten the gate after dropping off two bales of
straw in back, going to go back and do it after parking the truck.
Neighbors saw them and told me. I had my back to them and was
concentrating on unloading barkdust . . . *and* they were quiet. It was
like they knew what mischief makers they were! Six of them were waddling
around the front yard, slowly making their way toward me. Thankfully,
they were the only ones out and stayed together as well as being very
cooperative about going back down the alley and into the RV gate! Maybe
they were feeling neglected and wanted to let me know. LOL. One
neighbor, about to leave for work, came over to help . . . he is a county
deputy sheriff! These chickens are probably the only ones chased by a
deputy, at least in our town. g

Pets can be so much fun! These chickens have been great entertainment as
well as producing yummy eggs.

Anyway.. just one viewpoint on those "morning glories" .. Don't doooo
it! ;-)

I so agree with Janice's thoughts on this!!!

Janice