Old 31-05-2004, 06:03 PM

Default OT Paging Dr Solo - Help - Sick Fish

http://home.wi.rr.com/drsolo/author/author1.htm
http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/pgcharacters.html
I have my PhD in microbiology. I am a doc, not a physician or veterinarian.
most of this site is purely Jo Ann Burke, who is the expert. I just "channel" for
her when the case is difficult.
you only need a 1 gallon container for a salt bath. the salt bath needs only be 30
seconds long. we are talking 3% salt bath,not the 0.1% salt in the tank all the time.

look here http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/disease/disease.htm
scroll down to treatment, salt dips, read the other one uses of salt.
yes. do salt dip first using your hands from front to back of fish to help strip
slime coat off the fish, but move fish at first sign it quits struggling, then put
fish into fresh water with 0.1% salt. most of the parasites will get stripped off,
altho it wont remove the bacteria that are in any wounds. it wont remove all the
parasites either, but if the fish looks and acts pretty healthy then you can do the
treatment like PP or formalin. at the top of the page is the physical, especially
the gills should be bright cherry red if not, then dont put any treatment in the
water. Ingrid

"coop" wrote:
Hi Ingrid, et al: Are you really a doctor, or if not what experience do you
have with fish? I am not being nasty, simply asking, because I am new to
the group. I obviously would love to keep this fish and if you think it is
worth trying, I will. If I can catch him and treat him, would a 35 gallon
aquarium be big enough for a salt bath? How would I do the bath or dip? -
sorry, just went to rec...goldfish and found your advice.

I am not sure I understand fully, so to clarify: I will place the fish in a
bucket of water mixed 1/2 of NON-iodized salt/gallon anywhere from 30
seconds to 5 minutes. I will then remove the fish from the bucket and place
it in a 35 gallon tank of fresh water. Should I add any salt to this tank?
How long do I need to keep him in here? What will I see after the dip? Will
the "algae" fall off? What do I do with the parasite if it is still there?

Thanks for all your help,
Ian

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/