Old 31-05-2004, 08:05 PM
K Barrett

Default How to get these orchids to bloom?

"Alison" wrote in message
om...
"K Barrett" wrote in message

"Alison" wrote in message
om...
"K Barrett" wrote
Do you know the cross?

It's a Pot. Hisako Akatsuka "Volcano Queen" x Blc. Jeremy Island
"Carmela".

Could also be just an immature p/bulb trying to get to blooming size

and
aborting the sheath because its not mature enough.

Do you mean, it could start to make a flower spike & then quit? I
have no experience with this variety & am a beginner anyway, so I'm
not too clear how blooming "works" with them.

Alison

Hey! I have something similar! Mine's Pot. Hisako Akatsuka "Volcano

Queen" x
Blc. Wendy's Valentine from Carmela. If I undrestand the notes I put on

the
tag I last repotted it in 9/03 and I probably had it 2 yrs before that,

so
mine's probably 4-5 yrs old. Mine finally bloomed for me last year, a

small
red flower.

Yes, it could start to make a flower spike & then quit. Catts will do

that
when they approach flowering size, so next season could be the trick!

Or
maybe later this season, since I can't recall whether mine bloomed in

fall
or spring.

Nevertheless, your pollen parent Jeremy Island is a much larger plant

than
mine's Wendy's Valentine. I'd expect yours to need to get to a decent
pseudobulb size (6-8 inches tall, maybe?) before flowering.

IIRC your culture conditions sounded OK, like it should bloom for you

under
your conditions... but I can't recall exactly. As with anything else,

opt
to push it into slightly brighter light or light thats available for

more
hours in a day (Which I think you had)

Keep the faith

K Barrett

Our plants are cousins I think mine must be at least 6; I've had
it 4 years & it was a decent seedling size when I got it. The last
shoot is at least 8" tall, & that was one of the ones that fizzled.
It's got 2 more coming. Don't suppose you recall, if you did anything
in particular with yours before it bloomed, like more or less water?
The only thing I could do light wise is to move it onto the really hot
unshaded south kitchen windowsill, from the bedroom south windowsill
with the sheer curtain. It's pretty hot & bright there too.
Thanks for the tips. It's nice to know they abort spikes normally;
maybe it wasn't my fault

Alison

Yeah, I didn't think your trouble was light. I didn't do anything different
with mine, either. Just treated it like any catt. Day/night temp
differential, feed occasionally, there it is. See what happens.