Old 01-06-2004, 08:05 AM
Sue da Nimm

Default Courgettes

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message
news:_eOuc.1432$uQ3.920@newsfe4-gui...

I might add that I feel it's a little early to plant cucurbits

(Marrows,
pumpkins, cucumbers etc) out into the garden yet, even down here I

don't
plant them out until June arrives. They don't like these cold nights

and
even a slight frost will see them off, I lost most of mine a few years

back
to a Grass Frost on the 9th June.

Yes I agree, much the same applies to French beans too. We have put some
earlier sown tenderish plants out this week, but we are ready with a
protective cover of horticultural fleece if frost is forecasted.

I think it depends on your local position - here, near the top of a hill in
South Wales, we rarely ever get frosts. When we do they are generally light
and burn off quickly. Down in the valley, just a mile away, they can be much
heavier and last all morning. As a result our courgettes and beans go out
quite early, and we were able to pick the first five courgettes of the
season yesterday.