Old 23-05-2004, 07:05 PM
MK

Default Courgettes

Hi

Thanks for the tomato advice!

I have noticed that some of the leaves on my courgettes (planted in the
garden) are tinging a bit yellow - I have never grown courgettes before, so
don't know if this is normal or not..... any advice?

Many thanks

MK

Old 23-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Alan Gould

In article , MK
writes

I have noticed that some of the leaves on my courgettes (planted in the
garden) are tinging a bit yellow - I have never grown courgettes before, so
don't know if this is normal or not..... any advice?

This is probably due to acclimatisation - i.e. moving the seedling
plants out from a protected environment to the open garden. We do it in
two stages by keeping the plants on our patio a couple of days before
taking them to their growing positions. Don't worry, they should begin
to grow new green leaves soon and the old ones will wither away.

See that the plants have sufficient moisture, but don't over do that
because the stems of courgette plants are prone to rotting if kept wet.
If you are going to mulch or fertilise them, keep those items clear of
the stems for the same reason.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 23-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan Gould" wrote in message ...

I have noticed that some of the leaves on my courgettes (planted in the
garden) are tinging a bit yellow - I have never grown courgettes before,

so
don't know if this is normal or not..... any advice?

This is probably due to acclimatisation - i.e. moving the seedling
plants out from a protected environment to the open garden. We do it in
two stages by keeping the plants on our patio a couple of days before
taking them to their growing positions. Don't worry, they should begin
to grow new green leaves soon and the old ones will wither away.

See that the plants have sufficient moisture, but don't over do that
because the stems of courgette plants are prone to rotting if kept wet.
If you are going to mulch or fertilise them, keep those items clear of
the stems for the same reason.
--

I might add that I feel it's a little early to plant cucurbits (Marrows,
pumpkins, cucumbers etc) out into the garden yet, even down here I don't

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 24-05-2004, 06:07 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

I might add that I feel it's a little early to plant cucurbits (Marrows,
pumpkins, cucumbers etc) out into the garden yet, even down here I don't
plant them out until June arrives. They don't like these cold nights and
even a slight frost will see them off, I lost most of mine a few years back
to a Grass Frost on the 9th June.

Yes I agree, much the same applies to French beans too. We have put some
earlier sown tenderish plants out this week, but we are ready with a
protective cover of horticultural fleece if frost is forecasted.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 31-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Andy Hunt

I might add that I feel it's a little early to plant cucurbits (Marrows,
pumpkins, cucumbers etc) out into the garden yet, even down here I don't
plant them out until June arrives. They don't like these cold nights and
even a slight frost will see them off, I lost most of mine a few years

back
to a Grass Frost on the 9th June.

Yes I agree, much the same applies to French beans too. We have put some
earlier sown tenderish plants out this week, but we are ready with a
protective cover of horticultural fleece if frost is forecasted.

Ah . . . wisdom! It's my first year of growing veg, and I've noticed that
neither my courgettes nor French beans have really been very enthusiastic so
far. I had sort of counted them amongst my failures, but it sounds from this
like it's more a matter of timing . . .

Will post some photos soon of my newly URGled garden. There's going to be a
BIG thanks to everyone on here!!!!!

Cropped my first lot of radishes weeks ago. First fruits of the garden!!!
They tasted FANTASTIC!!!

Andy

Old 01-06-2004, 08:05 AM
Sue da Nimm

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message

I might add that I feel it's a little early to plant cucurbits

(Marrows,
pumpkins, cucumbers etc) out into the garden yet, even down here I

don't
plant them out until June arrives. They don't like these cold nights

and
even a slight frost will see them off, I lost most of mine a few years

back
to a Grass Frost on the 9th June.

Yes I agree, much the same applies to French beans too. We have put some
earlier sown tenderish plants out this week, but we are ready with a
protective cover of horticultural fleece if frost is forecasted.

I think it depends on your local position - here, near the top of a hill in
South Wales, we rarely ever get frosts. When we do they are generally light
and burn off quickly. Down in the valley, just a mile away, they can be much
heavier and last all morning. As a result our courgettes and beans go out
quite early, and we were able to pick the first five courgettes of the
season yesterday.