Old 01-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Cilantro

In article ,
Alan Gould writes:
| In article , Janet Baraclough.
| . writes
| I'm sorry, but the charter of this newsgroup is to discuss gardening
| in UK conditions. It isn't appropriate for you and Frogleg to use
| uk.rec.gardening to discuss growing cilantro in Japan and America.
|
| Rubbish Janet! There is no such thing as 'UK conditions'. Our climate is
| infinitely variable and of late it is increasingly becoming warmer.
| Already UK gardeners are finding the need to develop differing methods
| of horticulture and are turning to growers in other climes for advice.

That is rubbish. Have you ever looked at the gardens in other
countries?

Firstly, our climate is NOT particularly variable, let alone
"infinitely" variable. Secondly, its increasing warmth has not
made the summers significantly less maritime - the converse, if
anything.

We do have SOME overlap with South Africa and Japan, but it is
not a huge amount. This is, however, one aspect where we probably
do. I would be 90% sure that the problem with coriander (cilantro)
bolting is pretty well insoluble, because it will not spend long
at the leaf stage if the temperatures are high. However, keeping
the humidity high, and the plant well-watered and fertilised, may
help.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.