Old 30-05-2004, 12:15 PM
Frogleg

Default Cilantro

On Sun, 30 May 2004 17:45:35 +0900, PMH wrote:

In my experience, cilantro has been of the most difficult herbs to grow.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

See thread on "growing coriander" for my experience.
Old 31-05-2004, 02:11 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from PMH contains these words:

Where we live (Southern Japan) the winters are mild and cilantro does great.
But as any lover of Mexican or Thai food knows, it is great to have plenty
of it on hand in the summer. Unfortunately it is RARELY available in the
supermarkets here.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm sorry, but the charter of this newsgroup is to discuss gardening
in UK conditions. It isn't appropriate for you and Frogleg to use
uk.rec.gardening to discuss growing cilantro in Japan and America.

Janet.

Old 31-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes
I'm sorry, but the charter of this newsgroup is to discuss gardening
in UK conditions. It isn't appropriate for you and Frogleg to use
uk.rec.gardening to discuss growing cilantro in Japan and America.

Rubbish Janet! There is no such thing as 'UK conditions'. Our climate is
infinitely variable and of late it is increasingly becoming warmer.
Already UK gardeners are finding the need to develop differing methods
of horticulture and are turning to growers in other climes for advice.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 31-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 30 May 2004 17:45:35 +0900, PMH wrote:

Where we live (Southern Japan) the winters are mild and cilantro does great.
But as any lover of Mexican or Thai food knows, it is great to have plenty
of it on hand in the summer. Unfortunately it is RARELY available in the
supermarkets here.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

For use in *cooked* food (as opposed to its use uncooked as a
garnish or topping), frozen cilantro works very well. Put
recipe-size amounts n small freezer bags, press flat, seal, and
freeze. To use, remove the frozen cilantro from the bag and while
still frozen cut it crosswise with a good sharp knife. Works like
a hot damn.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 31-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

In article , Janet Baraclough.
. writes
I'm sorry, but the charter of this newsgroup is to discuss gardening
in UK conditions. It isn't appropriate for you and Frogleg to use
uk.rec.gardening to discuss growing cilantro in Japan and America.

Rubbish Janet! There is no such thing as 'UK conditions'. Our climate is
infinitely variable and of late it is increasingly becoming warmer.
Already UK gardeners are finding the need to develop differing methods
of horticulture and are turning to growers in other climes for advice.

From the charter;

"In the absence of more appropriate, geographically specific newsgroups,
discussion of gardening in Eire, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man
will also be welcome. Because there are climatic, legal, cultural and
other differences, discussion of
gardening in other parts of the world is OFF TOPIC (there are other
regional gardening newsgroups, and the global rec.gardens, one of which
may be more appropriate)"

Janet.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:08 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Rodger Whitlock
writes
Works like a hot damn.

I don't understand this phrase.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 01-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Alan Gould writes:
| In article , Janet Baraclough.
| . writes
| I'm sorry, but the charter of this newsgroup is to discuss gardening
| in UK conditions. It isn't appropriate for you and Frogleg to use
| uk.rec.gardening to discuss growing cilantro in Japan and America.
|
| Rubbish Janet! There is no such thing as 'UK conditions'. Our climate is
| infinitely variable and of late it is increasingly becoming warmer.
| Already UK gardeners are finding the need to develop differing methods
| of horticulture and are turning to growers in other climes for advice.

That is rubbish. Have you ever looked at the gardens in other
countries?

Firstly, our climate is NOT particularly variable, let alone
"infinitely" variable. Secondly, its increasing warmth has not
made the summers significantly less maritime - the converse, if
anything.

We do have SOME overlap with South Africa and Japan, but it is
not a huge amount. This is, however, one aspect where we probably
do. I would be 90% sure that the problem with coriander (cilantro)
bolting is pretty well insoluble, because it will not spend long
at the leaf stage if the temperatures are high. However, keeping
the humidity high, and the plant well-watered and fertilised, may
help.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 08:59:39 +0100, dave @ stejonda wrote:

In message , Rodger Whitlock
writes
Works like a hot damn.

I don't understand this phrase.

Highly colloquial Canajun (mit Amerikanische influences) "works
like a hot damn" equals Urglish "works very well indeed".

Old 01-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 08:59:39 +0100, dave @ stejonda wrote:

In message , Rodger Whitlock
writes
Works like a hot damn.

I don't understand this phrase.

Highly colloquial Canajun (mit Amerikanische influences) "works
like a hot damn" equals Urglish "works very well indeed".

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
[change "atlantic" to "pacific" and
"invalid" to "net" to reply by email]

basil and cilantro Rona Yuthasastrakosol Edible Gardening 25 24-07-2003 06:02 AM
cilantro..... Sabaa Mundia Gardening 3 04-05-2003 01:20 PM
any secret tips on cilantro/basil in Colorado Stephen Younge Edible Gardening 2 29-04-2003 01:32 PM
Cilantro surrogates Stevil Edible Gardening 2 16-02-2003 09:39 AM
Cilantro Snowfeet1 Gardening 4 10-02-2003 09:25 PM