Old 01-06-2004, 06:06 PM

Default Hawks in my yard

In article , Kathie wrote:

the predator situation...yes, I understand that theory. But who are
the predators of the hawks?? And how do we keep THEM in control? I
thought man was the predator of most road-kill-sized animals like
squirrels. Doubt if, as long as we have cars, there would be an
overrun of squirrels even if we removed every hawk from the equation!

Man is the primary predator of birds of prey. If there were no furry
tailed rats then you might have reason to complain. If that happened
then the hawks would go where there are furrytailedrats and feast there.
We have several barred owls in the neighborhood and no shortage of
furrytailedrats. My daughter disected some owl pellets and found mouse
fir, crayfish, bird beaks so they eat a variety and can't catch it all.
Quit fretting over one hawk.

wrote:
*In article , Kathie wrote:

.I know...a lot of you think I'm blessed, but I really don't like
predators...but what to do? Is there any way to discourage hawks

from
the neighborhood?? Or could any of you tell me why I should love

them?
I fear for my squirrels, and other nesting birds...

If there were no predators you would be up to your eyebrows in the
bushy
tailed rats and birds. How many cats roam your neighborhood? They
catch far more than one hawk would. Plus the hawk is also catching
mice other such nuisances.

--
Kathie

Kat ~=^..^=~

News==----
100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption =---

--
Wes Dukes (wdukes.pobox@com) Swap the . and the @ to email me
please.