Old 01-06-2004, 09:11 PM
BJ in Texas

Default St Augustine's invasion

Dave-tx wrote:
I'm trying to fight runners from neighbors' St Augustine
coming through my fence and taking over my Zoysia, and
thought I'd solicit the group for advice/tips.

I'm considering lining the base of my fence with a metal or
plastic strip that will provide a physical barrier to
neighboring grasses. My only hesitation is in wondering if
that will restrict water flow (both in and out) during heavy
rains, causing excessive puddling.

Does anyone know if there's a soil nutrient balance that
favors zoysia over st augustine? How about other factors,
such as letting it bake in the summer without water, or
mowing it very low (zoysia likes being cut lower than StA,
doesn't it?)?

What have some of you guys done for this situation?

Thanks
-Dave

Not that I have a problem with the neighbor's St Augustine,
but attempt to keep my own under control and keep it from
taking over several beds used for flowers etc.

I use metal flashing (aluminum) approximately 6 inches wide
and force it up to 5 inches into the ground around the beds
I want to protect. St Augustine roots do not appear to go
very deep. I use a similar strategy with monkey grass.

BJ