Old 01-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Dave-tx

Default St Augustine's invasion

I'm trying to fight runners from neighbors' St Augustine coming
through my fence and taking over my Zoysia, and thought I'd
solicit the group for advice/tips.

I'm considering lining the base of my fence with a metal or
plastic strip that will provide a physical barrier to neighboring
grasses. My only hesitation is in wondering if that will
restrict water flow (both in and out) during heavy rains, causing
excessive puddling.

Does anyone know if there's a soil nutrient balance that favors
zoysia over st augustine? How about other factors, such as
letting it bake in the summer without water, or mowing it very
low (zoysia likes being cut lower than StA, doesn't it?)?

What have some of you guys done for this situation?

Thanks
-Dave
Old 01-06-2004, 09:11 PM
BJ in Texas

Dave-tx wrote:
I'm trying to fight runners from neighbors' St Augustine
coming through my fence and taking over my Zoysia, and
thought I'd solicit the group for advice/tips.

I'm considering lining the base of my fence with a metal or
plastic strip that will provide a physical barrier to
neighboring grasses. My only hesitation is in wondering if
that will restrict water flow (both in and out) during heavy
rains, causing excessive puddling.

Does anyone know if there's a soil nutrient balance that
favors zoysia over st augustine? How about other factors,
such as letting it bake in the summer without water, or
mowing it very low (zoysia likes being cut lower than StA,
doesn't it?)?

What have some of you guys done for this situation?

Thanks
-Dave

Not that I have a problem with the neighbor's St Augustine,
but attempt to keep my own under control and keep it from
taking over several beds used for flowers etc.

I use metal flashing (aluminum) approximately 6 inches wide
and force it up to 5 inches into the ground around the beds
I want to protect. St Augustine roots do not appear to go
very deep. I use a similar strategy with monkey grass.

BJ

Old 02-06-2004, 03:18 AM
RM

Usually St. Augistine runners are above ground. You can try running your
weed eater to cut the grass to the dirt and make a small bare line between
the yards.

Don

ldomain...

Old 03-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Dave-tx

Thanks for the tips, guys. I think I'm going to try the
aluminum flashing and see how it goes.

-Dave

Old 04-06-2004, 05:08 PM
escapee

Huh? Please explain what MSMA is going to do to St. Augustine and why do you
recommend it. Then explain how Scott's Turf Builder with weed control is
beneficial to a lawn.

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 03:38:53 GMT, "Chuck" opined:

Spray with MSMA or put down Scott's Turf Builder with weed control.

"Dave-tx" wrote in message
aldomain...
I'm trying to fight runners from neighbors' St Augustine coming
through my fence and taking over my Zoysia, and thought I'd
solicit the group for advice/tips.

I'm considering lining the base of my fence with a metal or
plastic strip that will provide a physical barrier to neighboring
grasses. My only hesitation is in wondering if that will
restrict water flow (both in and out) during heavy rains, causing
excessive puddling.

Does anyone know if there's a soil nutrient balance that favors
zoysia over st augustine? How about other factors, such as
letting it bake in the summer without water, or mowing it very
low (zoysia likes being cut lower than StA, doesn't it?)?

What have some of you guys done for this situation?

Thanks
-Dave

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?
Old 04-06-2004, 10:03 PM
jOhN

From a Neil Sperry article about weed control:

"In St. Augustine turf:
Dallisgrass in St. Augustine is just about the only weed situation for
which we do not have reliable herbicidal control. MSMA kills St.
Augustine, so control of dallisgrass in St. Augustine becomes much more
difficult. "

As for the Scott's Turf Builder....????? My neighbor did manage to kill
two oak trees and retard the growth of another using it. However, he has
a solid St. Augustine yard except where he misses watering enough.

I have St. Augustine all over the place since I have extensive flower
beds and I find it easier to control than bermuda. I'd agree with the
post that recommended a durable divider that would withstand edging. The
St. Augustine only travels above the ground (unless it gets covered up)
and the runners are easy to yank either way.

escapee wrote:

Huh? Please explain what MSMA is going to do to St. Augustine and why do you
recommend it. Then explain how Scott's Turf Builder with weed control is
beneficial to a lawn.

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 03:38:53 GMT, "Chuck" opined:

Spray with MSMA or put down Scott's Turf Builder with weed control.

caldomain...

Old 05-06-2004, 01:09 AM
escapee

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:37:43 GMT, jOhN opined:

From a Neil Sperry article about weed control:

"In St. Augustine turf:
Dallisgrass in St. Augustine is just about the only weed situation for
which we do not have reliable herbicidal control. MSMA kills St.
Augustine, so control of dallisgrass in St. Augustine becomes much more
difficult. "

Oh, Neil Sperry. That explains it. So, you are suggesting he kill the St.
Augustine with arsenic, then feed it...let me read your next thing he

As for the Scott's Turf Builder....????? My neighbor did manage to kill
two oak trees and retard the growth of another using it. However, he has
a solid St. Augustine yard except where he misses watering enough.

So, you recommend using something which will kill oak trees without giving that
little caveat? Quite irresponsible.

I have St. Augustine all over the place since I have extensive flower
beds and I find it easier to control than bermuda. I'd agree with the
post that recommended a durable divider that would withstand edging. The
St. Augustine only travels above the ground (unless it gets covered up)
and the runners are easy to yank either way.

That would be correct. Please do yourself a favor; stop reading Neil Sperry.

escapee wrote:

Huh? Please explain what MSMA is going to do to St. Augustine and why do you
recommend it. Then explain how Scott's Turf Builder with weed control is
beneficial to a lawn.

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 03:38:53 GMT, "Chuck" opined:

Spray with MSMA or put down Scott's Turf Builder with weed control.

ocaldomain...

Old 05-06-2004, 09:02 AM
jOhN

escapee wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:37:43 GMT, jOhN opined:

From a Neil Sperry article about weed control:

"In St. Augustine turf:
Dallisgrass in St. Augustine is just about the only weed situation for
which we do not have reliable herbicidal control. MSMA kills St.
Augustine, so control of dallisgrass in St. Augustine becomes much more
difficult. "

Oh, Neil Sperry. That explains it. So, you are suggesting he kill the St.
Augustine with arsenic, then feed it...let me read your next thing he

You are the one that asked 'why' MSMA might be recommended. That is
"WHY", not what might actually be kinder to the environment. However, I
forgot that you like to bait this newsgroup with questions that target
your arch foes, the non-organics. That specific Sperry quote was the 1st
of millions available about the effect on MSMA on St. Augustine.

Don't you know how to do a google search? Sure you do, but it's not as
fun for you to miss an opportunity to show how "green" you are in front
of your gardening newsgroup audience.

I didn't ever recommend it, if you bothered to notice my whole post.

As for the Scott's Turf Builder....????? My neighbor did manage to kill
two oak trees and retard the growth of another using it. However, he has
a solid St. Augustine yard except where he misses watering enough.

So, you recommend using something which will kill oak trees without giving that
little caveat? Quite irresponsible.

What are you smoking? Where did I recommend Scott's? If you can't see I
think my neighbor's actions were a bit daft and also indicated that this
was NOT the answer then you need to have someone council you before
replying to this newsgroup.

I have St. Augustine all over the place since I have extensive flower
beds and I find it easier to control than bermuda. I'd agree with the
post that recommended a durable divider that would withstand edging. The
St. Augustine only travels above the ground (unless it gets covered up)
and the runners are easy to yank either way.

That would be correct. Please do yourself a favor; stop reading Neil Sperry.

I won my bet that you would do a knee jerk response to my post (as you
have reacted again and again to various posters over the years). You are
just as bad as your arch foes, the "better living through chemistry"
ostriches ( i.e. head in sand, totally subjective, myopic, fanatic,
irrational). Work on achieving a balance................

You once again have soiled and dirtied the intended purpose of
austin.gardening ;-)

p.s. Did you know that every personal computer requires somewhere around
1-1/2 tons of waste to be generated for its production?

p.p.s. to the newsgroup: Sorry to post this annoying response to a
superior annoying response. There is no doubt that escapee/Victoria has
inhibited this newsgroup with her acidic and reactionary replies for a
number of years. I'm not against her stance on a subject, just her
intolerance of the expression of opinions of others. Hell, she can't
even tell when someone shares her opinion!

Should we do an intervention? Who's bringing the compost tea?

news:slrncbp3ct.82i.df_usenetREMOVE@localhost. localdomain...

Old 05-06-2004, 04:13 PM
escapee

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 07:23:01 GMT, jOhN opined:

escapee wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:37:43 GMT, jOhN opined:

From a Neil Sperry article about weed control:

"In St. Augustine turf:
Dallisgrass in St. Augustine is just about the only weed situation for
which we do not have reliable herbicidal control. MSMA kills St.
Augustine, so control of dallisgrass in St. Augustine becomes much more
difficult. "

Oh, Neil Sperry. That explains it. So, you are suggesting he kill the St.
Augustine with arsenic, then feed it...let me read your next thing he

You are the one that asked 'why' MSMA might be recommended. That is
"WHY", not what might actually be kinder to the environment. However, I
forgot that you like to bait this newsgroup with questions that target
your arch foes, the non-organics. That specific Sperry quote was the 1st
of millions available about the effect on MSMA on St. Augustine.

Yes, but he was referencing the use for Dalisgrass. I don't bait anyone. I
wanted to see if you knew what you were talking about, or if you did a google
search and mirrored the first thing you came to. My suspicion was accurate.
Your answer was potentially dangerous. If you want to call that baiting, so be
it. I prefer to be informad

Don't you know how to do a google search? Sure you do, but it's not as
fun for you to miss an opportunity to show how "green" you are in front
of your gardening newsgroup audience.

I don't live my life in front of anyone. Nobody here knows who I am. They know
of me, but don't know me. I have nothing to gain by showing how green I
am...whatever that means. However, I do like to point out obvious and
irresponsible information.

I didn't ever recommend it, if you bothered to notice my whole post.

You gave it as a recommendation.

As for the Scott's Turf Builder....????? My neighbor did manage to kill
two oak trees and retard the growth of another using it. However, he has
a solid St. Augustine yard except where he misses watering enough.

So, you recommend using something which will kill oak trees without giving that
little caveat? Quite irresponsible.

What are you smoking? Where did I recommend Scott's? If you can't see I
think my neighbor's actions were a bit daft and also indicated that this
was NOT the answer then you need to have someone council you before
replying to this newsgroup.

You recommended the use of MSMA then use Scotts Turf Builder with weed control.
If this is not you, move on.

I have St. Augustine all over the place since I have extensive flower
beds and I find it easier to control than bermuda. I'd agree with the
post that recommended a durable divider that would withstand edging. The
St. Augustine only travels above the ground (unless it gets covered up)
and the runners are easy to yank either way.

That would be correct. Please do yourself a favor; stop reading Neil Sperry.

I won my bet that you would do a knee jerk response to my post (as you
have reacted again and again to various posters over the years). You are
just as bad as your arch foes, the "better living through chemistry"
ostriches ( i.e. head in sand, totally subjective, myopic, fanatic,
irrational). Work on achieving a balance................

I see, so it was YOU who baited the newsgroup, trolling for a response from me.
Ah, explains it now.

You once again have soiled and dirtied the intended purpose of
austin.gardening ;-)

I see.

p.s. Did you know that every personal computer requires somewhere around
1-1/2 tons of waste to be generated for its production?

I see.

p.p.s. to the newsgroup: Sorry to post this annoying response to a
superior annoying response. There is no doubt that escapee/Victoria has
inhibited this newsgroup with her acidic and reactionary replies for a
number of years. I'm not against her stance on a subject, just her
intolerance of the expression of opinions of others. Hell, she can't
even tell when someone shares her opinion!

Nobody who recommends the use of MSMA shares my opinions.

Should we do an intervention? Who's bringing the compost tea?

Nuff said.

Old 05-06-2004, 07:04 PM
jOhN

plonk

Old 09-06-2004, 03:19 PM
escapee

You don't, so why should anyone else? I'm sorry if I give up to date, accurate
(in most cases) information, rather than this lazy put a bag of atrazine out
type shit.

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 07:10:48 GMT, "Chuck" opined:

Ignore the victoria troll

.. .

escapee wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:37:43 GMT, jOhN

opined:

From a Neil Sperry article about weed control:

Old 09-06-2004, 03:19 PM
cat daddy

"Chuck" wrote in message
Ignore the victoria troll

It's far more beneficial and wise to discount your contributions as
coming from a person that's obviously absorbed far too many yard chemicals.
I find Victoria's far more valuable. HTH.

escapee wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:37:43 GMT, jOhN

opined:

From a Neil Sperry article about weed control:

"In St. Augustine turf:
Dallisgrass in St. Augustine is just about the only weed situation

for
which we do not have reliable herbicidal control. MSMA kills St.
Augustine, so control of dallisgrass in St. Augustine becomes much

more
difficult. "

Oh, Neil Sperry. That explains it. So, you are suggesting he kill

the
St.
Augustine with arsenic, then feed it...

St Augustine's invasion (and Burmuda) Patrick Texas 0 02-06-2004 07:10 AM
Small weevils invasion! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 5 30-06-2003 06:20 PM
Centipede Invasion! Help! Anne Lurie North Carolina 4 20-06-2003 03:08 PM
juncus invasion Jahboy United Kingdom 4 26-04-2003 03:32 PM
fix for dying lawn and invasion of weeds? Lil Gardening 4 21-04-2003 05:32 PM