Old 02-06-2004, 06:03 AM
Kay

Default I fell like I am stalking a shrub!

Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:37:03 GMT, Kay wrote:

I am in zone 5 and my neighbor has a shrub, I think a rose bush of some
sorts, that when blooms in summer to fall it has small very deep purple.
In fact I can only look at it from my fence. its about 5 feet tall. she
has had it for 2 years now and does not cover it for winter and it comes
back and looks gorgious. I asked what it was and she said bachlor
buttons. I don't think this is true unless its a nick name of a rose

Bachelor buttons are cornflowers, Centaurea cyanus. The usual height
is about 2 ft, so I'd be really surprised if that was the correct name.
Deep blue purple is not a color for a rose, so I think that's out, too.
http://www.gardenguides.com/flowers/...s/bachelor.htm

If you ask if you can photograph it while in bloom, we've got a better
chance of identifying it for you.

Might it be a rose of Sharon?
http://www.growinglifestyle.com/article/s0/a190706.html
http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp...tores/servlet/
StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10067& langId=-1&m
ainPage=prod2working&ItemId=47125
(there are undoubtedly better sources than these two)

another Kay

I will take a picture as soon as it blooms. I know for sure it has
thorns. Thanks so much!

Kay