Old 01-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Kay

Default I fell like I am stalking a shrub!

I am in zone 5 and my neighbor has a shrub, I think a rose bush of some
sorts, that when blooms in summer to fall it has small very deep purple.
In fact I can only look at it from my fence. its about 5 feet tall. she
has had it for 2 years now and does not cover it for winter and it comes
back and looks gorgious. I asked what it was and she said bachlor
buttons. I don't think this is true unless its a nick name of a rose
bush? Miniture? or Miniture climbing? She has lots of other kinds of
rose bushes that I can see are rose bushes. In zone 5 is there a
miniture climbing rose bush that can handle the winter and come back? I
have spent hours searching the internet with every key word I can think of.

Thanks,

Kay

Old 02-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:37:03 GMT, Kay wrote:
I am in zone 5 and my neighbor has a shrub, I think a rose bush of some
sorts, that when blooms in summer to fall it has small very deep purple.
In fact I can only look at it from my fence. its about 5 feet tall. she
has had it for 2 years now and does not cover it for winter and it comes
back and looks gorgious. I asked what it was and she said bachlor
buttons. I don't think this is true unless its a nick name of a rose

Bachelor buttons are cornflowers, Centaurea cyanus. The usual height
is about 2 ft, so I'd be really surprised if that was the correct name.
Deep blue purple is not a color for a rose, so I think that's out, too.
http://www.gardenguides.com/flowers/...s/bachelor.htm

If you ask if you can photograph it while in bloom, we've got a better
chance of identifying it for you.

Might it be a rose of Sharon?
http://www.growinglifestyle.com/article/s0/a190706.html
http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp...tores/servlet/
StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10067& langId=-1&m
ainPage=prod2working&ItemId=47125
(there are undoubtedly better sources than these two)

another Kay

Old 02-06-2004, 06:03 AM
Kay

Kay Lancaster wrote:
[...]

I will take a picture as soon as it blooms. I know for sure it has
thorns. Thanks so much!

Kay

Old 02-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Jim Elbrecht

Kay Lancaster wrote:

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:37:03 GMT, Kay wrote:
I am in zone 5 and my neighbor has a shrub, I think a rose bush of some
sorts, that when blooms in summer to fall it has small very deep purple.
In fact I can only look at it from my fence. its about 5 feet tall. she
has had it for 2 years now and does not cover it for winter and it comes
back and looks gorgious. I asked what it was and she said bachlor
buttons. I don't think this is true unless its a nick name of a rose

Bachelor buttons are cornflowers, Centaurea cyanus. The usual height
is about 2 ft, so I'd be really surprised if that was the correct name.
Deep blue purple is not a color for a rose, so I think that's out, too.
http://www.gardenguides.com/flowers/...s/bachelor.htm

Note that there is also a perennial 'Bachelor Buttons' - Centaurea
Montana [aka Mountain Bluet].
http://www.daytonnursery.com/Encyclo.../Centaurea.htm

5 feet high is a stretch-- but the flowers range from bright blue to a
violet. And the flowers last all summer .

Jim
Old 03-06-2004, 03:07 AM
Jane

Question on Centaurea Montana...mine just finished blooming should I cut it
back or will it continue to bloom on it's own?

Old 03-06-2004, 06:02 AM
Janice

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:37:03 GMT, Kay wrote:

I am in zone 5 and my neighbor has a shrub, I think a rose bush of some
sorts, that when blooms in summer to fall it has small very deep purple.
In fact I can only look at it from my fence. its about 5 feet tall. she
has had it for 2 years now and does not cover it for winter and it comes
back and looks gorgious. I asked what it was and she said bachlor
buttons. I don't think this is true unless its a nick name of a rose
bush? Miniture? or Miniture climbing? She has lots of other kinds of
rose bushes that I can see are rose bushes. In zone 5 is there a
miniture climbing rose bush that can handle the winter and come back? I
have spent hours searching the internet with every key word I can think of.

Thanks,

Kay

What color is the foliage? What do the buds look like?

Bachelor buttons are usually on gray green foliage, the flowers do
include some that are very deep purple in color, along with blue -
light and dark, pink, white.

There are perennial varieties .. centaurea montana.. which has larger
but sparser petaled .. deep blue flowers.

As to rose bushes.. miniature?? Do you mean that? They have
miniature roses, that grow in 2" pots.. tiny. Or do you mean one
that get how large??

Check in your local garden centers, not one in a lowes, walmart, Home
Depot, or other chain store, because the plants are not ordered by
local folks, they're sent by some corporate entity. They don't even
re-order their own tomato cages when they're out I was in formed by
the garden folks at Home Depot.

So go to a local reputable nursery/garden shop and see what they are
selling. They will be most likely not carry things that won't be
hardy there. Granted it's not *always* the case, but if you check
several, talk with the people, you'll get an idea what will survive
there.

Janice

[IMG] code is On

Status of Steve Parks stalking Eggs Zachtly Lawns 0 22-08-2006 01:21 AM
Saca "stalking" Puce (was Looking for Ways to Annoy the Neighbors) Sheldon Harper United Kingdom 0 07-03-2006 04:37 PM
The pod fell off PhalGuy Orchids 4 11-08-2005 08:51 PM
Lawn mower just fell in the pool... Bill Miracle Gardening 33 28-02-2004 06:33 AM
Large branch fell of ash tree Snowman United Kingdom 7 25-07-2003 10:02 PM