Old 02-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Collingwood Collingwood is offline
Registered User

Location: Hampshire
Default Light Deprivation from over grown trees

I am a keen gardener but have been having problems with a few over grown trees. Due to the position of these trees I only get 2-2.5 hrs a day of sunlight in the garden. They stand in a row on council property with the nearest only 8 feet from my back fance. I have kids so some of the garden is laid to lawn with flower beds around the edge of the garden. I seem to spend most of my time in the garden clearing the mess from the trees and watering the garden as the tree saps all the goodness from the soil. I takes forever for any of my plants to grow even when I buy plant food.

Another problem is lack of light & heat in the house during summer plus the washing only dries on windy days.

The trees however are on council property and I have contacted them every year for the past 5 years and they have only trimmed the trees once, the very first year. They give no reason for their decision except how nice they look.

I don't want them cut down but would like the council to try trimming or pollarding.

If you have any information that may help me or could recommend a good website to visit, it would be much appreciated.