Old 02-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Registered User

Location: Hampshire
Default Light Deprivation from over grown trees

I am a keen gardener but have been having problems with a few over grown trees. Due to the position of these trees I only get 2-2.5 hrs a day of sunlight in the garden. They stand in a row on council property with the nearest only 8 feet from my back fance. I have kids so some of the garden is laid to lawn with flower beds around the edge of the garden. I seem to spend most of my time in the garden clearing the mess from the trees and watering the garden as the tree saps all the goodness from the soil. I takes forever for any of my plants to grow even when I buy plant food.

Another problem is lack of light & heat in the house during summer plus the washing only dries on windy days.

The trees however are on council property and I have contacted them every year for the past 5 years and they have only trimmed the trees once, the very first year. They give no reason for their decision except how nice they look.

I don't want them cut down but would like the council to try trimming or pollarding.

If you have any information that may help me or could recommend a good website to visit, it would be much appreciated.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Mike

s.com...

--
Collingwood

Were the trees there when you moved in?

Mike

--
Nat.Service (RAF) Assoc. Cosford Parade / Social Weekend 25th - 28th June
British Pacific Fleet Reunion Birmingham September 17th - 20th

Old 02-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Registered User

Location: Hampshire

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Were the trees there when you moved in?
We moved in during November so all the leafs had already fallen, therefore we didn't really give it much thought. However buy trimming them in the first year they have grown a lot since.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Paul D.Smith

[snip]

I *think* that you are permitted to remove all parts of the tree overhanging
your boundary but this is mitigated by, for example, protection orders.

Of course you would be well advised to seek legal advice before embarking on
any such venture.

A better tack, depending on where you live, may be to point out that if/when
these trees cause subsidence to your house, the council will be responsible.
Where I live (London clay all around) the council keep most trees near
houses well under control. It may help but if you have a dense row of them,
and they were there when you moved in, you probably have little you can do.

How about growing shade loving plants and giving up on the grass in favour
of a deep bark play area? The kids won't care much and it's far easier to
work with.

Paul DS.

Old 02-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Neil Jones

"Collingwood" wrote in
message s.com...
[...]

Have you tried having a friendly chat with your local councillor,
explaining that the council's inaction is causing a nuisance and
preventing your right to the quiet enjoyment of your property?

While I would not advocate taking your local council to court to enforce
your rights under the Human Rights Act, the fact that you know your
rights might persuade your councillor to have a word with the
appropriate people - especially if he's up for re-election next week...

Neil

Old 02-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Mike

Mike wrote:
*Were the trees there when you moved in?*

We moved in during November so all the leafs had already fallen,
therefore we didn't really give it much thought. However buy trimming
them in the first year they have grown a lot since.
--
Collingwood

I feel that you are going to talk very nicely to a) Your local councillor,
and b) The tree preservation officer of your local council.

It is possible to have trees lopped and trimmed for safety reasons and to a
certain degree aesthetic reasons, we have had both done, in fact I have a
team of tree fellers working on trimming trees and felling them on an open
area we are developing, BUT, your circumstances may be different and you may
not be able to pull the right strings. Therefore be nice to your council.

(Having said that, we still have a resident not happy that a huge Horse
Chestnut, due south of her, is not being trimmed or felled)

Mike

Old 02-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Mike

Have you tried having a friendly chat with your local councillor,
explaining that the council's inaction is causing a nuisance and
preventing your right to the quiet enjoyment of your property?

"Wax Cat in Hell" comes to mind. That is why I asked if the trees were there
when he moved in.

While I would not advocate taking your local council to court to enforce
your rights under the Human Rights Act, the fact that you know your
rights might persuade your councillor to have a word with the
appropriate people - especially if he's up for re-election next week...

If done in the right way, and an arrogant approach is NOT the right way :-((

Neil

Mike

Old 02-06-2004, 10:04 PM
gitfinger

"Collingwood" wrote in message
s.com...

If you have any information that may help me or could recommend a good
website to visit, it would be much appreciated.
--
Collingwood

It might be your lucky day!

Under the antisocial behaviour act 2003 (comes into effect Oct 2004)

HIGH HEDGES
(b) alleges that the reasonable enjoyment of that property by a prospective
occupier of that property would be adversely affected by the height of a
high hedge situated on land owned or occupied by another person

See here...

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts2003/30038--i.htm#66

All you have to do is take out an antisocial behaviour notice on your
council and your away!

Good luck!

Git

Old 03-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Registered User

Location: Hampshire

Quote:
Originally posted by gitfinger
All you have to do is take out an antisocial behaviour notice on your council and your away!
Thanks for all your help, looks like I will try the local councillor and if this doesn't work then my best bet is the antisocial behaviour act in Oct 04.

Cheers
Richard
Old 09-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Hampshire

I have been in contact again with the council and they will only do something with the trees if they affected the structure of my home, unfortunately they don't. They also confirmed that there is no law that states you have a right to light, espcally if the trees were there before you were. Also the Anti Social Behaviour act is yet to be passed and still may not be so, therefore very little chance of any action at all.

I even spoke to Citizens Advice who said there was nothing I could do except move.

Thanks to those how made suggestions.

Richard

Old 11-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Neil Jones

"Collingwood" wrote in
message s.com...
I have been in contact again with the council and they will only do
something with the trees if they affected the structure of my home,
unfortunately they don't. They also confirmed that there is no law

that
states you have a right to light, espcally if the trees were there
before you were. Also the Anti Social Behaviour act is yet to be

passed
and still may not be so, therefore very little chance of any action at
all.

I even spoke to Citizens Advice who said there was nothing I could do
except move.

Thanks to those how made suggestions.

It would be a lot of work, but you can cut off all the roots of the
trees which are on your land (ie cut them at your boundary). That will
at least help reduce the amount you are feeding and watering the
council's trees.

Neil