Old 02-06-2004, 02:03 PM
escapee

Default Grasshoppers

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 01:18:16 -0500, "junkyardcat"
opined:

Is there anything I can put on my garden to deter or kill grasshoppers,
without hurting my ladybugs? I am starting to see hundreds of small
grasshoppers, and I know they will grow up to be big ones and destroy my
plants! But I have so many ladybugs in the garden which are very beneficial,
so I don't want to kill them too! Any ideas?

Thanks!
Angie

This is the perfect time to use a biological control called Nosema locustaea.
It is sold under the brand name of Nolo Bait. It is a toxin carried in a soy
and/or wheat substrate which grasshoppers love. They eat it and die. Since
they are also cannibals, the larger hoppers which eat the dead ones also get
infected. It is very specific to grasshoppers. The time you put it out is when
you start to see they nymphs. One container may cost up to 20 dollars, but it
is enough for an acre.

Victoria

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?