Old 02-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Neil Jones

Default Light Deprivation from over grown trees

"Collingwood" wrote in
message s.com...
I am a keen gardener but have been having problems with a few over

grown
trees. Due to the position of these trees I only get 2-2.5 hrs a day

of
sunlight in the garden. They stand in a row on council property with
the nearest only 8 feet from my back fance. I have kids so some of the
garden is laid to lawn with flower beds around the edge of the garden.
I seem to spend most of my time in the garden clearing the mess from
the trees and watering the garden as the tree saps all the goodness
from the soil. I takes forever for any of my plants to grow even when

buy plant food.

Another problem is lack of light & heat in the house during summer

plus
the washing only dries on windy days.

The trees however are on council property and I have contacted them
every year for the past 5 years and they have only trimmed the trees
once, the very first year. They give no reason for their decision
except how nice they look.

I don't want them cut down but would like the council to try trimming
or pollarding.

If you have any information that may help me or could recommend a good
website to visit, it would be much appreciated.
--
Collingwood

Have you tried having a friendly chat with your local councillor,
explaining that the council's inaction is causing a nuisance and
preventing your right to the quiet enjoyment of your property?

While I would not advocate taking your local council to court to enforce
your rights under the Human Rights Act, the fact that you know your
rights might persuade your councillor to have a word with the
appropriate people - especially if he's up for re-election next week...

Neil