Old 03-06-2004, 06:08 AM
steve

Default Sand Filter and High Ammonia

(Carl Harrison) wrote in message om...
Hi,

I am now trying with a little less sand in, will see how it goes.

Regarding new sand and your problem I suspect that the ols sand had
become worn and lost its sharp edges enabling it to sit closer
together therby trapping everything passing through. New sand will be
sharper and thus leave bigger gaps. I would suggest adding more sand
but that may lead to the same problem I have. It should improve for
you once the sand has worn a little.

Carl

Carl there are lots of differant grades of sand, construction,
playground,... and others. I would definatly change your sand and try
another type but I don't know what to. Some of the streams in your
area may have sand and rocks. If you can find that sand, nuke it with
PP and try that. Thats what I would do.